Chapter 14 - Nightmares

We quickly continued our journey avoiding the camp, Karin and the others couldn't believe what we witnessed.

"What was the gun shot then?" Joshua asked.

Adam had a look of anguish on his face, "An execution probably. It's in a remote location, nobody would know about it."

My head was racing as we walked together, I couldn't help but feel sick with guilt. How could I be so selfish? I was out enjoying the sun laughing and people like myself were being murdered not that far away?

Suddenly I began feeling lightheaded, now and then dark spots would appear in my vision.

Tomas rushed to my side and cried, "Amit!"

Karin and Adam turned round to find me lying unconscious on the ground, she gasped as she kneeled beside me, "What happened?"

 "She was walking then she collapsed!"

Adam pushed past and scooped me up in his arms with no sign of hesisantation.

Karin frowned as she followed him, "Adam! She could be seriously ill."

 "We don't have time to stop." He told her bluntly.

She placed her hand on my forehead, "She doesn't got a fever, do you think it's-"

 "Stress from what she saw today, it must have got too much for her." Adam stated.

Karin nodded, "Oh yeah that too."

 Tomas looked up to me worriedly, "Will she be okay?"

Adam gave him a reassuring smile, "Don't worry Amit won't be out for long, she's strong."

Three hours later, we come across a town called Blankenhain, stood before us was castle looking over a lake, it was as if it was a dream. Adam glanced down to me as I slowly woke, "I found you a castle Amit."

I smiled softly, "Very funny, now where are we really staying?"

Not long afterwards we found a local inn, the town was quiet but pleasant looking.

The old man behind the desk laughed as we got our keys for our rooms, "What brings you here then?"

 "Just travelling through with the finance and in laws." Adam said casually.

 Karin raised an eyebrow, "In laws?"

 "Yeah. You be Amit's sister and brothers."  Adam whispered to the group.

 "I am her brother." Tomas reminded him.

 Adam eyes shifted awkwardly, "I know."

 Joshua folded his arms, "You can put her down now."

Joshua stated as he stared at me as Adam carried me in his arms.

I gripped onto Adam's shoulders, "I'm too weak to walk."

Then a sudden flashback of those inmates at that camp hit me, I quickly untangled myself from Adam. I wobbled to my feet; he raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure?"

"Y...Yes." I replied shakily.

I wish I hadn't followed Adam; I couldn't erase the memory of seeing that concentration camp.

That's where we should have went, no matter how hard I tried images of people suffering and guns shots rung in my head.

I couldn't sleep that night, I thought the worse thing was for me to be captured by the Nazis, but this was worse.

I laid in a warm bed whilst those of my religion live everyday not knowing if they'll wake to see the next. I rolled out of bed and sat near the window, the sky was full of stars, the moonlight illuminated the room.

Would father be happy that we escaped the Ghettos, or would he be ashamed that we were friends with a Nazi? He never knew about Adam, I didn't dare speak of it in fear of his disapproval. I liked to hope that he would be thankful to Adam and relieved to know that his children were safe.

I looked over to Tomas as he laid a sleep in the double bed, the future was uncertain for us, but as long as he was near my side then that's all that matters.

I walked out into the hallway to go to the bathroom, the bathroom door opened, it was Adam. He gazed down to my nightgown, it was quite gapy round the chest, I quickly covered it up with my dressing gown, which I found in the wardrobe.

My face blushed, "What are you doing awake?"

"I went to the toilet." He stated.

"Oh yeah."

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked.

I lowered my head, Adam had a habit of reading me like a book. He wore a loose white shirt and striped pajama bottoms. The uniform those prisoners wore in the camp, the striped pajamas.

My eyes quickly panned up to Adam's face, he seemed absorbed by my actions.

"I can't sleep and when I do I only have nightmares." I admitted.

He pulled me into his chest and kissed the top of my head, "I don't sleep much either."

I squeezed Adam's hand, "Can I sleep with you, please."

He raised my chin and gave me a soft smile, "Well it's a bit forward but sure-"

"No I meant just to sleep! Nothing else!" I shrieked, my face must have looked as red as the Nazi flag.

Adam chuckled lightly, "I know, I just like to wind you up."

I frown broke into a smile as he led me to his room, his eyes watched me as I took my dressing gown off. Something inside me told me he might have wanted more than just my company, but I felt too tired to comprehend anything else.

My heart fluttered as I got into bed and laid my head on his chest. He ran his fingers through my darks curls, I felt safe around him, in our own little haven away from the black and white of the outside world.

"Good night, Amit." He whispered before I fell asleep in his arms.