Chapter 16 - A Chance

A lot has happened since my talk with Karin. Joshua has become Frederick's guardian and a permanent member of the household.

"So is this your husband?" A female neighbour asked at Joshua's birthday party.

Me and Joshua exchanged awkward glances, I laughed, "No! No! Just good friends."

"Ah sure, is that what people call it these days?" She winked before walking off chuckling to herself.

Joshua' feelings towards me became have only become apparent in the last few weeks, I had been so busy raising and focusing on Frederick, I never stopped to think about Joshua's intentions.

A week later, Karin sat outside with me in a café, "You really think he only sees you as a friend?"

I shrugged as I sipped my tea, "Friends do that right, there for each other?"

"Not all friends would be there 24/7 to raise a baby with you!" She sighed.

I sunk in my chair, "I'm not using him, it's too soon, Adam..."

"Amit! You got to move on, if not with Joshua then someone else. You're 28 years old now, you're no longer that love struck teenager."

"I was not love struck. I-"

She placed her hand over mine, "Please Amit, at least give Joshua a chance, considering all he's done for you."

Karin gave me a quick hug before rushing back to work, I sat alone at the table. How could I forget about Adam, when we share a child together?

I came home to find Joshua asleep with Frederick on the coach, I smiled softly to myself. I took my jacket off and stopped to look at Tomas.

His dark curls fell over his eyes, somehow I always found his curls cute, but I normally shoved the thought to the back of my mind. I was worried about Tomas helping me raise Frederick at first, but he was a natural with children.

A part will always love Adam, but a part of loved Joshua, for loving Frederick, for accepting him, despite his dislike towards Adam. He was good at taking care of me, making sure I was okay, putting me first, even though he worked so much helping Karin with her business too.

"Amit?" His sleepy voice asked.

Why did it take me seven years, to realise that I may have been falling in love with Joshua? I wasted so much time, yet he still hung about, even when he knew his feelings weren't returned.

I placed a kiss on his cheek before covering a blanket over the two boys and snuggling up to sleep with them.

I got ready for another book signing and interview. At first I used to get nervous but now it has become almost second nature to me.

"Another one?" Joshua grunted as he sat on the end of my bed, as I finished my make up in front of the mirror.

"Yes I need to promote his story." I urged, I frowned at him, "I think you have forgotten he saved your life too."

He unfolded his arms, "Yes of course, how could I not? I just hate him for abandoning you with his unborn child."

"He had no idea, he was going to be hunted down by the Russians otherwise."

Joshua shrugged like a stubborn teenager, "You were so busy with your book tour last year you missed Frederick's birthday."

I shot my head round to face him,"I felt guilty and tried to rearrange but I couldn't-"

"You didn't try hard enough." He uttered before standing up to walk out.

"It's a local signing! It's a one off." I told him.

I followed him into the hallway, "Please don't be like this. Can't you come with me? You can tell your story too, I interviewed Karin for my book and she got some publicty too-"

"I don't give a crap about that. You don't get it."

I gripped his hand, trying to hold back my tears, "I'm not a bad mother. I'm not."

His gaze softened, "I never said that."

"Felt like it." I hissed, "I managed and perserevered, I love that boy. I would die for him!"

"I know, I'm sorry i didn't mean to upset you." Joshua apologised.

Joshua pulled me in for a hug, I relaxed in his arms, "Thank you for everything, you've done a lot for me."

"No problem." He replied casually.

I looked up at him, "No I am extremely grateful, I should have told you sooner. But seeing you with Frederick last night, I didn't realise it. I have grown to love you."

His eyes widened, "But what about Adam?"

I shook my head as tears streamed down my blushed cheeks, "It's been a long time and I am tired of being that heartbroken 19 year old. I want to be happy... With you."

Joshua appeared to be in a state of disbelief, as he placed his hands on my sholders, he remained silent before laughing.

"I fell in love with you the day you walked into the classroom." He admitted.

I raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

He nodded, "But that damn Nazi won your heart."

I stared at him, not knowing what to say, he lowered his head, "I'm second best, but I don't care."

"No you're not! Josh-"

His fierce eyes locked on me, "What if Adam walked in right now? Would you choose him?"

I gasped, "NO!"

"Liar."

Frederick walked downstairs, looking as if he had woken up.

"Mum, Joshua why are you fighting?" He asked.

"Were not, go back to bed." I reassured.

"Is it about dad?"

I bit my lip, Joshua placed his arm round Frederick, "Best heading to your book signing, don't want to late."

I smiled falsely, "See you later, Freddie. I love you."

"Bye mum." He yawned before walking back upstairs.

I glared at Joshua, "I wasn't lying. I have feelings for you."

Joshua didn't say anything.

My smile broke away, "I would choose you. Any day."

I quickly headed the door, leaving behind a stunned Joshua.

Everything was going well, I had a good queue of people at my signing, the interview went swimmingly. But it was the last person waiting I had a problem with.

I looked up as the person placed their book before me, I smiled, "Who is it for?"

"Adam." He said.

"Oh like the man in the book." I joked.

"Yeah I am."

I raised an eyebrow, I stopped writing, my pen fell from my hand. That voice, it sounded different but familiar. My heart began beating out of my chest.

I forced myself to lift my head to face the man. I thought I must have locked onto Frederick's eyes, but I hadn't, they belonged to someone else.

"Amit, it's me."

It was. It was Adam. MY Adam. I couldn't breathe, my head was spinning, soon I found myself collapsing to the ground. Adam Hans was alive, the boy who saved my life. He was came back for me. But he was 9 years too late.