Chapter 12 - Freedom

After a nerve wrecking walk through the streets of Warsaw, we were undetected by anyone. All we had to do was blend in and not wear our Jewish armbands. We all had a wash before we left the house so we didn’t look as if we were deprived of hygiene for the last two years. Also Adam quickly changed from his Nazi uniform, he wore a shirt with a jacket over it along with rolled up brown bottoms and laced shoes.

Adam had handed out the fake ids and papers; there were 14 of us altogether. He suggested it would be better if we split up into groups, to seem less suspicious looking. The two women with children and a man with his daughter stood in the street, Adam gave them some advice before he left them.

“You should be safe, just remain calm and they won’t suspect a thing. If you have any problems the church should look after you.” He reassured them.

Each person hugged him as they thanked him, then we parted ways as we said goodbye and wished them luck.

The group was now me, Tomas, Joshua and Karin. It was strange to be out in the open after being confined for so long.

“So where are we going?” Karin asked.
“Faraway, as possible.” Adam stated, “Almost the whole the Europe is occupied by Germany. So the only places that aren’t would be somewhere like England?”
Karin protested, “Be refugees? No I-“
“Even be a refugee or be treated like animals. Up to you.” Adam stated.

There was a grim silence, I smiled awkwardly, “Where did you get the IDs?” I
“A good friend of the family, that’s all I can say.” Adam replied looking suspicious.

Karin seemed impressed, “Interesting, so do your family know-“
“I don't have a family.” He admitted.
“Oh I’m sorry.”
“What happened?” Tomas wondered.

Adam’s face grew stern, “When I was in Hitler Youth I heard them talking badly about Hitler, so I told on them and when I got home they were gone.”
I felt my heart sink as he walked in front of us, “Adam I-“
“Well it’s your own fault, what did you expect?” He laughed sarcastically.
Adam remained quiet; I rolled my eyes as Joshua, before I could open my mouth, a German plane swooped over our heads.

We all were pushed to the ground, Adam held me tightly, I raised my head, “Do you think it’s following us?”
“There must be an airbase close by.” Adam noted as we walked down the country path.

Karin frowned, “If they’re not dropping bombs they’re trying to drive their planes into us!”

“Are you okay?” Adam asked me.

 I observed him quietly it was the first time I saw him in normal clothes, even though we had been walking for the majority of the afternoon.

I smiled brightly, “Yes of course.”
The sun was beginning to set, as we came across an empty barn to spend the night in. Nobody was complaining as anywhere was better than the confinement of the Nazis, also we were all very physically and emotionally drained.

I laid on the grass as I stared up to the starry filled sky. I still felt quite numb, it hadn’t fully sunken in yet. Was this really happening? Or was this another dream which I was going to be woken by a crying child or the sound of guns of bombs?

I didn’t know where we were, I know Adam referred it to Żyrardów, all I knew was that it was the countryside, not too far from Warsaw but not too close to be detected.

“You’ll get a cold if you stay out here too long.”
I sat up to see Adam, my heart began to race franticly, I raised an eyebrow, “Can’t I enjoy my freedom?”
He sat down next to me, “You need your sleep if we’ll be travelling tomorrow.”
“5 more minutes won’t kill me.” I sighed.

 I glanced over at him, he was so tense. I hated seeing him so worked up.

I placed my hand on his shoulder, “Calm down, look were safe now.”
“Are we? I can’t stop thinking if any moment were discovered or they find my resignation too suspicious and-“
“Adam please, we got to live for now, we’ll face that if it happens.” I told him.

He looked up at me, taking me by surprise as he pressed his lips on mine. My heart nearly stopped for a second, I closed my eyes as I nurtured every second. He pulled away as he noticed tears rolling down my face.

His face grew slightly pink, “Was it really that bad?”
I shook my head, “No it was better than I imagined.”

“Well you don’t have to do that anymore.”