Chapter One Hundred & Twelve

An extra update for some Daniel love. Is anyone else really sad, because I am😢 - enjoyyyyy, thank you as always. Please like, comment and vote🤍🤍🤍

Daniel's car was ready and prepped to go for the third practise session, which was great, but he had less time than everyone else to get to grips with the track and the car on it, but I knew he could do it. We all knew he would get a penalty for a new engine, so he would be starting at the back of the grid, but so was a few other drivers this weekend so he wasn't the only one and now it meant his qualifying position meant everything, if he could qualify above the other penalised drivers, he wouldn't be right at the back.

I was on my fourth coffee of the day and I yawned and stretched at my computer as Sophie came into the office. I finished typing up my email and smiled at him.

"What's up?" I turned to her

"I really don't want to do this to you, but I really don't feel well Alex, I can try and work, but I know I shouldn't be around Daniel if I feel sick" Sophie said. I was overwhelmed, I already wasn't okay myself and so tired and now I had to sort this out.

"Sick how?" I asked

"My temperature is high and I feel sick, like nauseas" she said

"Then off you go. Go to bed and rest, fluids and chill out"

"I'm so sorry Alex" As I looked at Sophie, she looked pale, and I wasn't worried about the fact I would have to sort things out, I was hoping to sneak a nap in at some point but, she needed the rest more than I did.

"Don't be silly, do you need to see the doctor?" Sophie shook her head "okay, back to the hotel. I'll get a car arranged for you" I said. She nodded, she'd stopped speaking and I wasn't sure if she was actually going to be sick, she jumped up and ran out the room. I took that as a yes and followed her down the hall of the motorhome and to the bathroom.

Half an hour later, with her things and some water, Sophie was on her way back to the hotel. I was almost glad I hadn't been able to sleep today, silver linings, I had minimal work to do, because now I was going to be busy with Daniel. I walked back up the paddock and back to McLaren.

"Alex can you catch up about commitments next week?" Bradley asked

"Yeah absolutely, head to my office I'll be there in 5" I said with a smile. He nodded and disappeared and I went over to the hospitality area where Daniel, Michael and Blake were sitting around the table chatting. I ordered another coffee and stood at the table.

"G'day" Michael waved "how many coffees?" He chuckled

"This would make five, and I'm going to need a minimum of another four today" I was handed my coffee and sat down quickly.

"Why?" Daniel asked, he put his arm around me and kissed my cheek. It made me feel all gushy inside

"Meet your new press officer" I said with a smile

"Yesss!" Daniel fistbumped the air, I rolled my eyes

"Where's Soph?" Blake asked

"She's had to go back to the hotel, she's not well. Like really not well. So I'm with you today, I think probably tomorrow, I don't want her pushing herself if she's ill"

"Amazing!!" Daniel sang

"Right now I've got to go"

"We'll wait for you when we go to the garage for quali?" Daniel asked. I nodded and he kissed me quickly on the lips before I headed upstairs with my coffee and to speak to Bradley.

The added commitments I had to help Daniel with, made me even more tired than I already was. Quali went wonderfully for him and Lando, both through to Q3 safely, Lando placing 3rd. Daniel was on pole which was amazing for him, but the penalties meant he would be starting at the back technically, but because he had placed higher than the other drivers with penalties, he was 14th. Not ideal but I knew he could do it. The commitments went into the late hours, but Zak had allowed me to leave as soon as they did their engineering briefings, he could see I was tired and I was grateful to be able to sleep.

As soon as my head hit the pillow at the hotel, I was out like a light. I didn't even notice when Daniel came in, I only woke up when our alarm went off at 10am. I yawned and stretched out, the bed empty. I went to bed alone, and now I had woken up alone. I frowned and stepped out of bed, I went for a shower and when I finished, feeling a thousand times more refreshed and ready than I was yesterday, I wrapped a towel around me and stepped out to be greeted by the smell of food. I smiled and went through to the living room to be greeted by Michael, Blake and Daniel in the kitchen.

"Brilliant" I groaned and quickly ran back to the privacy of the bathroom, followed by chuckles from all three boys.
"I'm sorry! I didn't realise you'd come out in just a towel" Daniel said as he came into the bathroom. I gave him a scowl and it made him laugh.
"Can you get my clothes?" I asked, he nodded and kissed my forehead
"How are you feeling?" He asked
"Much better" I smiled, he went to walk away and I tiptoed up and kissed him quickly, he smiled before leaving.

I quickly dressed, did my makeup and dried off my hair, letting it hang in its natural curls. I would need to sort it out soon, although I've died it dark, the colour was fading, it would be such a process to go back to blonde but I was still debating the move. I left the bathroom, more decent than last time and joined the three boys out at the table.

"Morning" Michael smiled as I sat down next to him, Blake handed me coffee and I smiled. They had gone out to get breakfast, and brought it back. I was certainly grateful because I was starving.
"Did you eat when you got back?" Daniel asked from across the table, I shook my head
"I just went to sleep"
"Do you feel better?" Blake asked.
"Loads, thank you" I drank my coffee and ate my breakfast before pulling my laptop in front of me and working while the three of them chatted together.

My phone rang as we were about to leave and I pulled it out my pocket, signalling Daniel to go on ahead. The three left and I answered the call.

"Hello?" I asked, the number was unknown and it was on my personal phone, not my work phone which confused me.

"Can I speak to Miss Walker please?" The voice of an unknown woman came through the phone

"Yes this is she, how can I help?" I asked

"Miss Walker, I'm calling on behalf of the Mercedes F1 team, we'd like to invite you to a meeting on the 12th October in Brackley at 11am, we have an exciting opportunity for you"'

"Excuse me what?" I questioned, my mind raced with a million and one things, I didn't understand what was happening. Mercedes?

"We think you're the perfect candidate and you've been headhunted specifically, we'll send you an email containing some information, but if you could respond in the next 24 hours with your attendance that would be great"

"Erm okay?"

"Thank you Miss Walker, I hope to hear from you very soon. Have a good day" the phone ended swiftly and I stood frozen to the spot I was stood in. My mind swirling with what had happened, why the Mercedes team called me, what it was for, confused was an understatement.

"Alex" I didn't realise Michael was calling me, until he was waving his hand in front of my face. "Alex are you coming?"

"Sorry, yeah"

"Everything okay?" He asked as I followed behind him and then locked the door behind me.

"Yeah all good" I said, I didn't even know how to process the information let alone try and say something. I didn't even know to say.