-ೃ⁀➷ 𝟎. prologue

❝ 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐩𝐚𝐰𝐧𝐬 ❞

[ ch. 0 : prologue ]

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐖 humming of the air conditioners and distant chattering of nurses filled the well-lit room. Summer sunlight shone through the glass paned windows, providing natural lighting. Potted plants decorated the area, though they were fake. A few famous paintings hung framed on the walls, and beds with curtains around them lined the room on each side.

As a nurse walked by, she nudged her co-worker. "How long has that girl been in there, now?" The woman gestured towards one of the beds inside of the hospital room, where a young girl had been residing for years now.

Found in an old alleyway, a man and a woman brought her in to be checked up around three years prior. Upon further inspection, her condition was labeled a mystery. No doctor, surgeon, or nurse had seen anything like it before, nor could they find a blood type that matched hers. Many scientists immediately wanted to observe this for themselves, although the man and woman-who were the only people liable for her after bringing her in-protested on experiments being conducted.

When they found her in that alleyway, she was unconscious. No one was able to learn her name, even after consulting the police. She had no birth certificate, no records. Nothing. She was in all terms of the word, a mystery to 1960's Dallas, Texas. Everyone called her "The Girl", not knowing what else to refer to her as.

"About three years, now. It baffles me that no one has found anything on her, yet. Folks are beginning to rumor that she might just be a ghost...bound to sleep for eternity." Silence creeped it's way between the two nurses. "Oh, but of course I would never believe such tall tales! Although, no one is for certain if she ever is going to wake up. Poor girl, she's probably an orphan." The woman exclaimed.

The nurse lifted her arm to check her watch, that was clasped onto her wrist in a fashionable manner. "Oops! I must've gotten distracted. I better get back to work. Goodbye, then!" She walked off, along with the other nurse.

In the girl's endless dream state, something nagged at her. A feeling tugged at her consciousness, as if something she had long since forgotten was calling out to her. A warmth she hadn't felt in what seemed like eternity returned. All this time, she had been wandering, helpless. Wondering if she was ever going to wake up from this dark dream. Now, there was a light. A way out, perhaps.

Maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't be stuck in her mind, sleeping forever.

▬ meanwhile...

A man named Elliot, who lived right next to an alleyway where he had witnessed various out of the ordinary occurrences first hand, heard a knock at his door. When the man opened the door, he peeked his head out of the crack. Out front stood a young teenage boy, looking no more than seventeen at best. He was wearing a weird schoolboy uniform that didn't appear to be the cleanest. "What do you want?" Elliot asked cautiously.

"Hi, I'm selling encyclopedias for my youth group. I was curious if-" the boy got cut off by Elliot slamming the door in his face. Although this didn't do much, for seconds later the boy appeared inside of Elliot's home. "Ah!" the man shrieked, startled by yet another abnormality occuring right in his own house. The boy had just teleported inside, resulting to Elliot cowering in a corner out of fear, perhaps for his life. "H-how'd you do that?" he panted.