~2~

~•~

Laurie and I had arrived at the party a little while ago

Laurie and I had arrived at the party a little while ago. I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of crowds, so we were hiding out in the sitting room. The chatter and laughter of party goers filled the small space. Only a curtain of fabric separated the two rooms. A cozy little space, away from the crowded ballroom. It was warmly lit, a glowing orange hue illuminated Laurie's face. He somehow managed to look even more handsome.

I had snuck in a few pieces of paper with me and wrote down a new poem. The swelling feeling of getting your thoughts to paper was thrilling in a way. Knowing it could never be lost in the very confusing thing we call a brain. I, of course, was writing another poem about him. My thoughts then spun into a web, thinking about the kiss. It was just a friendly kiss on the cheek. It didn't mean anything. Or did it?

Laurie sat on a chair opposite of me, I was closer to the Christmas tree that nestled in the corner. Luckily he didn't see me scribble down my small poem. I was so caught up in my writing I hadn't noticed another presence had entered the room. A girl about our age staggered backwards, crashing into Laurie's chair.

"Ooh! Sorry. I didn't know anyone was here" she apologized.

Laurie quickly stood and I stuffed my poem in my pocket. I walked and stood next to them. "Not at all. Stay if you'd like, "he said.

"I won't disturb you?" she asked. Looking between us.

"No. We don't know many people here. I felt rather strange at first, you know" he explained. Fiddling with his fingers.

"Mmh, so do I" she said.

Laurie examined her for a little, I'm starting to feel as though I'm not here. I looked at the girl taking in her features, she was very pretty, blonde, tall. Her red dress brought out her cheek bones in a way. Laurie seemed to be absolutely mesmerized. A feeling boiled within me, one I hadn't felt before. Jealousy.

"Miss March, isn't it?" He asked.

"Yes Mr. Laurence, Miss L/N, but I'm not Miss March. I'm only Jo" she extended her hand, for us to shake.

"And I'm not Mr. Laurence, I'm only Laurie". A tight lipped smile overcame him once more, as they shook hands.

A silence fell between them, I noticed the small smiles on both of their lips. Laurie and Jo looked at each other, holding eye contact. I again felt as though I hadn't been there. I stepped between them, breaking their gaze. I extended my hand to Jo and smiled.
"I'm Y/N, but you may call me N/N"
We shook hands, they were soft but also rough, as if she had held a pencil many times.

She looked towards the separation curtain. "Don't you two dance?" she asked. Pointing at the entry way with her thumb.

"I'm not one for dancing, I'd rather not humiliate myself" I said. Laurie chuckled.

"And, I don't know how you do things here yet, I've spent most of my life in Europe" he said.

"Europe! Oh, that's capital!" she looked down. "Shouldn't use words like that" she mumbled.

"Says who?" Laurie and I asked at the same time.

"Oh, Meg. She's my older sister. Here" she led us over to the curtain. Pulling it back to look at the endless sea of people. Laurie was close to Jo and I peered over his shoulder. "Hmm. Oh, that's her. See?" she pointed out a woman. She was spinning and swaying to the music. She seemed to be having fun. She had brown hair, and she was also very pretty. "The girl in the violet dress"

"Mmh. It's very pretty" Laurie said, looking down at Jo. The feeling of jealousy returning.

Jo turned back on her heels and walked away from us. towards one of the couches. "She reminds me to be good, so father will be proud of me when he returns" she said, taking a seat. Laurie and I sat down next to her, me on both of their sides as I sat in the middle.

"Where is he?" Laurie asked.

Jo picked a grape off the table and put it in her mouth. Lying back comfortably into the couch. "He volunteered for the Union Army, and I wanted to go fight with him. I can't get over my disappointment in being a girl" I chuckled at her statement. Laurie looked past me over to her once more.

"Jo, would you like to dance with me?" he asked. My heart ached when those words left his lips. Why hadn't he asked me?

"I can't because..." she looked at me and then Laurie.

"Because of what?" He asked.

"You two won't tell?" she said as she sat upright in her chair.

"Never" Laurie said.

"Depends" I said. Jo chuckled and then smiled at me.

Jo stood up and turned to us. "I scorched my dress, see?. There" I saw the black mark on her red dress, It was very noticeable. I tried to contain a small chuckle. "And Meg told me to keep still so no one would see it" she plopped back down onto her seat. She got comfortable once more leaning against the back of the couch. Smiling at me and Laurie. "You can laugh if you want to it's funny, I know"

"I have an idea of how we can manage" Laurie said.

~♡~

Laurie, Jo and I stood outside on the porch. The darkness outside was outshone by the lights from the ballroom. Inside the magnificent windows, people waltzed, swaying to the string quartet. Candlelit lanterns lined the porch. Jo had suggested all three of us danced, I was warming up to her very quickly.

Laurie extended his hand to Jo, she slipped hers into his palm. She then grabbed my hand with her free one. Laurie taking his with my other. A calming sensation filled me when his warm fingers clung to mine. Once the chorus of the song played, we moved our feet to the rhythm. Taking large steps all as one. We stopped in front of the wall in between the two windows. Jo's mouth widened as she gasped.

We strode back the way we came, taking steps to the song once more. Although we weren't as graceful, Jo had accidentally put her foot in front of mine causing us to run straight into Laurie. He almost toppled over falling off the porch. Once he regained himself, he grabbed our hands again. Him in the middle as we strode down the porch. Jo walked in a full circle with her arm extended as we reached the corner.

We walked down the porch again, this time jumping around and flailing our arms and legs. It would be very embarrassing if anyone had seen us through the window. Although Jo did make the funniest facial expressions. We then acted as if nothing happened walking stiffly as we passed a window.

We ducked and ran to the end of the porch. Jo and I linked arms spinning around, Laurie then hooking his arm to my free one. Dancing around freely. Then we ran, me and Jo in front, leaving Laurie by himself in between a window. He made hand gestures trying to convince us to go to him. Jo and I motioned for him to come to us. He started spinning around like a ballerina but not nearly as graceful. I laughed the way he held his arms out as he twirled.

He then came over picking me up by the waist and spinning me in the air. I couldn't contain my blush at his actions. I laughed, Jo smiled watching us. We were about to go for another dance, but knocking on the window caught our attention. There the same brown haired girl, Meg stood. Jo walked forward looking confused. "What?" she asked.

"My foot. I've hurt my ankle" Meg said.

"Oh!"

~♡~