~6~

~•~

The crisp freshly fallen snow blanketed over the yard. It sounded with a satisfying crunch under my feet with every step. I wasn't overly fond of cold weather, but snow made it a little more bearable. Mr. Laurence had asked me to deliver some blankets to Marmee. She, being the kind and caring woman she was, is providing essentials to men fighting in the war. I also baked some pastries hoping they would lift our tropes spirits. Knowing Marmee's husband was fighting I felt the need to help. No matter how little the impact would be to ending the war.

I shivered as I made my way down the road. The blankets I was holding would be nice to block out the cold. Although my hands were full, so I couldn't wrap one around me. I held them either side, my basket of baked goods hanging on my elbow. Laurie had caught a cold and was told to stay home, so I had to carry everything myself.

If I had one misstep I'd plummet face first onto the icy ground. The new layer of snow wasn't exactly helping. As I tracked forward my boots started to slide out from underneath me. I shifted my weight attempting not to topple over. I awkwardly held my position, breathing in and out, telling myself to 'walk slowly...' and 'we're not going to fall!'

Suddenly I heard a scraping sound across the snow. I turned to see two spiked ice shoes. 'Where did those come from?'. I looked from the ground to see a panting Jo March with a large stick. "Grab a hold, I'll pull you over" she said. As Jo moved the branch toward me I tucked the blankets under my arms. She reached over what I originally thought to be snow. Her arms extended as far as they could. My hands wrapped around the branch as she slowly pulled me across the icy road. As I tried not to slip over.

Jo pulled me by my shoulders onto firm ground, she smiled at me brightly. I couldn't have been more grateful she had been there to help me. "Thank you, Jo" I breathed, relieved I hadn't ruined any of my pastries. She took the blankets from my arms and I put on the ice shoes she had given me. She decided to walk with me, because she was headed to Aunt March's house anyway. Which she had told me was in the same direction, although I knew it wasn't. As we made our way down the road Jo continued to carry the blankets no matter how many times I tried to protest.

"Jo, please. At least let me carry one, I feel bad making you carry them all!"

"Not to worry, you were a damsel in distress, I am your knight in shining armor. I will carry them, it's the chivalrous thing to do" she said sternly, a smirk on her face.

"Thank you again Jo. I wouldn't have known what to do if you hadn't helped me" I said.

"Oh please, it's not as though I charged a battalion. I was just sitting by my window-"

"Were you watching me?" I laughed.

"No!" she defended. Her cheeks turned a rosy shade of pink. I didn't think anything of it, the cold weather must be getting to her.