The Verdict

I don't own Naruto.

When they returned to the village things went about how she had expected them to. He was in custody and she was being interrogated. They were placed in cells right next to one another, they could see and hear each other, which was a blessing but also a curse, because they knew that everyone else could hear every single thing that they were saying to one another as well. She was just happy to be able to see and touch him rather than not know what was happening to him. She reached a hand through the bars and he scooted closer to grasp it gently. He brushed his lips brushed over the back of her hand and she smiled softly. "No matter what happens, I'm always here for you." He said and she nodded. She felt the same way no matter what she was going to be there for him as well.

"So, when you were in infinite Tsukuyomi... you dreamed of me?" he asked and she blushed slightly and averted her gaze. How had he found out about that? His thumb brushed over the back of her hand and he sighed deeply. "I wish I could have dreamt of you..." he said and her blush darkened. "Would you tell me of what you dreamed of?" he asked and she nodded softly. "Yes... I can do that for you." She said and he smiled as he leaned back against the bars and listened to every word she said. She told him all about how she had fought with Kakashi more than anything and he laughed at this seeing as it was accurate in his opinion. She told him all about how she had tried and tried to get him to realize she was in love with him but he was an oblivious fool, to which he agreed with as well. He hadn't realized she was falling in love with him until she had accidently let it slip one day. She had let it slip one day when he was leaving, just a simple be safe, I love you... but she hadn't meant to say it that day.

She told him all about how he had tried to get her to stay with him and that he told her he loved her. she told him that she had left the dream thinking that she was coming back to a version of him who remembered her from the past and was sad that she hadn't actually saved him. He got a good laugh of her dreaming about arguing with the village elders as well. He entwined his fingers with her and sighed as he stared up at the ceiling. "So no matter what, what you wanted most was to be with me and save me from everything..." he sighed and she turned to look at him with curious eyes. "Thank you... for sticking with me, even if this is the end." He said and she smiled at him softly.

"I would do it again no matter what... I hate that this may be the end for us, but at least I had you by my side in my last days." She whispered and looked to the doorway where she saw Tsunade watching her with saddened eyes. He gripped her hand a bit before he leaned his head against the bars. "Hinata... you did save me... no matter what you think, you made me change my ways, even if it were to late to save me from my death." He said and tears filled her eyes as he said this. He was looking towards Tsunade who still had that grim line crossing her lips. "I just pray you don't have to suffer the same fate as I do, my dear." He said and Tsunade turned to leave. Hinata's eyes hit the floor and she couldn't stop the shaking of her shoulders at this point.

The tears poured over her cheeks as she realized what Tsunade's silence most likely meant for her, they were both going to share a similar fate. He released her hand and turned to face the bars fully while he sat on his feet. "Hinata... look at me..." he called and she stopped her sniffling long enough to turn to face him and see he had put both arms through the bars. She wrapped her arms as best she could around him through the bars and continued to cry. "I don't want you to die..." she sobbed and he frowned as he patted her head comfortingly.

"I never wanted you to die because of me..."

:-:-:-:

Tsunade tapped her long nails on her desk in irritation. The elders were demanding the death of both of them, but they were also demanding that Sasuke be spared. She didn't see how that could possibly be considered fair seeing as all Hinata did was heal a missing nin and end up falling in love with him. Her punishment should be the least of all of them but these two old farts wanted the both of them dead, which could possibly be considered a mercy seeing as neither of them would have to live without one another. But to kill Hinata would be ridiculous. Everyone knows the girl wouldn't do anything against the village, nor would she let secrets slip seeing as Obito knows nothing about the byakugan either.