Chapter II: Save your breath

You were finally able to open your eyes. You felt numb, you couldn't feel anything except for the rushing pain that, you figured, was coming from your shoulder. Keeping your eyes open was a task, which you were not sure you could fulfill, as your body swayed with the movement of Arthur's horse. 

You managed to let out a stiffled groan, causing Arthur to turn his head towards you and halt. "Y/N, how are you feeling?", he asked, but noticed how unstable you looked on the back of his mare. He put one arm behind your back to secure you and tried his best not to touch your wound. "We're not far from camp", he said, "but we won't arive 'til nightfall" Your lips formed a silent "Okay" and you closed your eyes once more.

"Miss Grimshaw!" Arthur's yell brought you back to consciousness. You flinched a little, startled by his scream, which didn't do your shoulder any good. You clenched your teeth and took in your surroundings. It was nighttime, like you suspected. The bright moon formed a crescent and was accompanied by many little stars, the trees shielding you from the moonlight. Shady Bell looked stunning, but its beauty was disturbed by a crowd of people circling you and Arthur. He helped you from his horse and Lenny came forward to support your weight. 

"My goodness, what happened?" Miss Grimshaw looked horrified as she helped you stand up. "Robbery went wrong", Arthur stated, looking over to you with an expression of regret on his face.
"We got shot at", you wheeze. She led you to the medicine wagon. "Save your breath, for god's sake!", she snarled, sitting you down on one of the crates, before leaving to get some medicine. Arthur nudged Bill and Javier out of the way and knelt down beside you. He unsheated his knife and started cutting the fabric of your shirt, exposing the bullethole. Miss Grimshaw shooed everyone away from you and got to work on your shoulder.

"There we are." The woman finished stiching the wound and wrapped your arm in bandages. "Thank you, Miss Grimshaw." You dust youself off and stood up. 
"Don't mention it. Now, I want you to rest. No big scores for a while, you hear me?" 

I was foolish. Now that I can't do much I feel like a waste of space. Arthur hasn't looked me in the eye since we got back. I hope he'll come around sooner or later.

You put your jounal down and inspected your shoulder. It'd been about a week since the robbery and you were back on your feet. Miss Grimshaw allowed you to go hunting, but only small game. Arthur was doing everything in his power to avoid you. He was hurt by what happened, that you knew, but you'd never seen him be so impacted by an incident. You missed him. You didn't want to admit it, but you did. 
So you took it upon yourself to try to talk to him.

You took a deep breath and knocked three times. "Arthur? Are you decent?" 
The door opened and Arthur stood before you, fully dressed. He noticed the worried expression on your face.
"What's wrong?"
"Can we talk a moment?"