Chapter VII: Even before you told me

You had a choice. That you did. And you realised far too late than you'd like to admit. Men who love other men weren't exactly respected by folk, but that didn't matter anymore. You needed Arthur desperately, so desperately that it hurt.

"They ain't biting much, are they?", he asked, reeling his line in to check the bait.
"No, not really", you sighed, doing the same before sitting down in the small boat. Arthur sat down next to you and tilted his head. He knew you were thinking about something of great importance. "What's wrong, kid?" You cringed a little at the nickname, it felt odd that he still treated you like a brother.

"I don't know, I just...", you paused for a moment and took a deep breath. You couldn't believe the situation you were in. Replaying in your head what you were about to tell him, and buried your head in your hands. "Shit, Arthur", you muttered. You felt the boat sway a little and Arthur sat down beside you. "Hey, it's alright."

Swallowing you looked to your feet. "I like you, Arthur", you said, holding back tears, "I like you in a romantic way. And I can't bear the thought of you with someone else. I understand that it's dangerous for us to be together and I understand that you like women, but..." You felt your voice breaking and a hand came up to your face to dry your tears.

"I feel the same", he whispered and immediately your head shot up.
"What?" Arthur moved closer to you and softly caressed your cheek.
"I like you too, Y/N. And I have for a while now. Even before you told me."