6- The dangers of questioning.

Janis and Heather step out of the busy police station, the balmy breeze and the morning sunlight embracing them like a warm hug as soon as the doors open.

"I nailed it, every detail!" Janis says excitedly, she feels as if a weight has been lifted off her shoulders.

"They haven't made a decision yet," Chandler reminds her, putting on her sunglasses in a very cliche detective fashion.

"Please contain your excitement..." Janis mumbles.

"This is me excited," Heather replies, earning an eye roll from Janis.

"Come on, Chandler, give me a little love here," she teases. "Why do you have to be such a megabitch?"

"Because that's your favorite thing about me," Heather gives her a wink and a lopsided grin. Janis can tell that the casual banter easily rolling off of Heather's tongue —the sarcastic remarks, the witty insults, all wrapped up in a slightly flirtatious tone— was something common in her friendship with Veronica, they had probably known each other for years. Janis is walking in dangerous territory, she says one wrong sentence or gets a small fact wrong and her whole act will fall apart.

"Look, JD doesn't know about the money yet," Janis takes advantage of Heather's good mood to bring up the elephant in the room. "Let me put it back before he finds it."

"That's not the deal, Sawyer," Heather's expression closes up and she speaks in an annoyed tone.

"There was no deal!" Janis says, the frustration making her voice louder than she wanted it to be. "It was just you taking-"

"Looking after you, partner." Heather cuts her off. "And if you bring that shit up one more time, I swear I'll throw it all in the shredder," with that being said, Heather walks away before Janis can get another word in. Janis stands on the sidewalk, fuming, as she watches Heather's figure become smaller and smaller, until she reaches out for her car and leaves. Before Janis can do the same, she feels a small vibration coming from her back pocket and picks up Veronica's cellphone; Denise's name appears on the screen.

"This is Janis," she answers.

"Well, Janis, this will be quick," Denise says. "Since you already know where I live and I can't find a sitter on such short notice, I expect to see you at my house tonight at 9."

"How about right now?"

"Tonight! Go through the back door and knock quietly," Denise lists out the instructions. "And don't forget to bring everything you have from Edith!" with that she hangs up.

J

anis isn't liking twin number 6 very much.

***

It's 8:54 pm when Janis parks Veronica's black Altima in front of Denise's house. Seated next to her is Damian, who gazes at the neighborhood like it's insulting him, disgust written all over his face.

"I never would have agreed to come with you if you said we were going to the suburbs," he mumbles as a tall couple who looks like they belong in a Light and Fit commercial start jogging next to him. "What are you doing?" he asks when Janis makes a motion to exit the car.

"Just stay here, I won't take long."

"You're gonna leave me here?" he asks, incredulous. "Why the hell did you bring me in the first place? You told me we were gonna get frozen yogurt."