Chapter 1-The New Ymbryne

It was a perfectly normal day in the loop. Everything was going well and no one was straying from the schedule. That is, until it was time for the movies. Horace had been acting odd all day, but everyone had pretty much ignored the unusual behavior. Now they could clearly see what was amiss. He'd had a single dream that night. But all things considered, it was more like a nightmare.

Two children, and a woman were running around the island, towards the loop entrance. When they finally arrived the woman told the two kids to wait while she turned into a bird and scouted out the area to make sure it was safe. She quickly found it was and returned, leading the way, still in bird form, too exhausted to bother changing back. They reached the door to the house and the elder of the two picked with the bird before knocking. The door opened as the vision began fading away.

"That was an ymbryne! What's she doing here?" Fiona shouted out as Alma flicked off the lights.

"The real question is why does she only have two children and what's she running from?" Emma jumped in.

"It's none of our concern at the moment children. Now, please get ready for reset." Alma ended the conversation before any of her wards could get the bright idea to go looking for the woman.

—————

You should've seen the attack coming. But you'd failed as a caretaker once again. Two wights and a hollowghast had made their way into your loop and began killing child after child. You'd locked yourself in your office with your last two children. A small six year old girl named Ellie. And an eleven year old boy named Aaron.

You helped them both out your window, thankfully being on the first floor, before climbing out yourself. You carefully led them away from your once home, only running when you felt safe enough to do so. The closest loop was on an island not too far away. All you had to do was get there with your children before you all aged.

You soon found yourself on a ferry, barley relaxing, anxious about being somewhere with no escape route if the wights were to somehow get on the ferry. Upon arriving on the island you ran with your children to where you believed the loop entrance was, and your theory was confirmed when you felt your ears pop. "Right. Alright dears, it's getting dark." You turned, addressing your children. "I need you to sit here and wait for me while I search the area to make sure it's safe." You gestured to a rock for them to sit. "You are not to move. Understood?"

"Yes Miss G." Aaron responded for the both of them. You nodded before assuming bird form, abandoning your clothes in a pile beside them. The downside about being an ymbryne; one's clothes don't travel with them.

You flew towards an old childrens home which was where you were last told the headmistress of this loop and her wards resided. You flew around, eventually perching on a windowsill and looking into a kitchen. Inside was a woman, pacing, staring at the pocket watch she held in her hand. Definitely ymbryne behavior, this had to be it.

You flew back to your wards, cawing at them so they'd follow. They wordlessly did, assuming you'd found safety, Ellie holding your abandoned clothes. When you reached the porch of the home you hopped on the ground, gesturing to the door with a dark blue wing. Aaron picked you up before using his other hand to knock on the door. You heard the faint clicking of heels growing louder until the door was open.

On the other side stood the same woman you'd seen in the kitchen. She carefully looked over the three of you, her sharp eyes catching every detail. She stepped aside, saying nothing but gesturing for the two children to walk inside. They hesitated, looking at you, who nodded in response. One they were inside she shut the door and looked at them again.

"I assume that bird is your ymbryne?" She asked, looking down at you. Arron nodded. "A grandala, correct?" He nodded again. "May I?" She held out her hands, he did the same in return, holding you out to her. You made a small hop onto her hands before getting comfortable again. "She doesn't seem hurt, just tired. I suppose your trip must've been long. Would you like to go to bed? We can speak more in the morning."

"Yes, we're very tired and would much appreciate somewhere to sleep, ma'am." Aaron spoke for the first time since meeting the woman.

"You may call me Miss Peregrine. Now, follow me and I'll show you to the guest room. I hope you don't mind sharing a bed for now. I can find an extra mattress tomorrow."

"One is more than enough, thank you Miss Peregrine. I'm Aaron, and this is Ellie." He said gesturing to both himself and the younger girl as the reached the top of the stairs.

"It's no problem. Here's your room. I'll wake you when it's time for breakfast." She opened a door for them before kneeling down to Ellie, shifting you into one hand, holding out the other. "May I have Miss Grandala's clothes?"

"Mhm." She hummed, handing them to the older woman. "Take care of her.." She whispered.

"Don't worry, dear. She's in the best of hands." Miss Peregrine smiles at the girl. "Now get some rest." She waited for the two to tuck themselves in before speaking once more and closing the door. "Goodnight."

She walked you to another room, which you'd assumed to be hers judging by appearance alone. "If you'd like you can change back, but if you'd prefer to remain a bird I won't fight you on it. Though I must admit I have questions I'd like to be answered." She sighed, setting your clothes down on a desk before placing you on her bed. "Would you like to assume human form?" You considered it for a moment before nodding. "Alright then, would you like some privacy?" You nodded again. She stood, picking you up once more, also going to grab your clothes before bringing you to a bathroom attached to her room. She placed your clothing on a small counter, placing you on the floor before exiting the room, closing the door behind her.

You changed back, quickly getting dressed and fixing your hair before exiting the room once more. "Thank you, Miss Peregrine." You spoke, brushing yourself off, looking at the floor. When you looked up again you found she was staring at you, taking everything in. "Miss Peregrine?" You said again, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Call me Alma, dear. We're both ymbrynes after all." She smiled. "And what my I call you?"

"Y/n. Thanks for everything you're doing for us, Alma."

"It's not a problem at all! If I may ask, what's happened to you three?"

"What's the only reason ymbrynes evacuate loops these days? Wights of course. Two of them and a hollow raided my loop. I barely escaped with my own life, let alone two of my children. I just wish I could've saved them all..."

She nodded before walking over to you and pulling you into a hug. "It's alright, dear, one can't be expected to save everyone. What's important now is that you're safe. And you managed to get two of your wards out. We'll take care of you all here and protect you all in case of an attack."

"Thank you, Alma."

"It's no problem at all, Y/n." She pulled away from you again, holding your hands in hers. "Now, we best be getting to bed. Ymbrynes may not need much sleep but you're clearly exhausted. Please, take the bed. I can sleep on the couch downstairs."

"Please, we're both adults, I think we can where a bed. I wouldn't want to to be uncomfortable due to me."

Alma hummed and nodded. "Alright." She let go of your hands and walked over to a wardrobe, pulling out two nightgowns. "Here, you may change in the bathroom again." She handed one to you, then pointed to the door.

You did just that, each of you taking turns to change before laying down next to each other in the queen size bed. "Goodnight, Y/n."

"Goodnight, Alma." You said as she flipped over to face her back to you.

—————

Birds.