Chapter 8-Hide And Seek

"Miss Grandala!" Two children yelled at once as they ran over to you. Aaron pulled at your hand as Millard waited at the door. "Come on!" Now only Aaron spoke. "We're going to play hide and seek again. You have to play with us!"

"Oh no, again?" You asked as he pulled you outside where everyone else was waiting.

"Oh good, you got her." Olive said, smiling. "Miss Peregrine already agreed to seek so you don't have to." She gestured to Miss Peregrine, who was already wearing a blind fold and was leaning against the tree while she waited for everyone else to get ready. "I think we're good to go. Miss P, start counting."

The woman sighed and began to count. "One... two..." You ran off, just as all the other children did. Though you made a decidedly stupid choice and instead of finding a new hiding place, went upstairs to the same closet as last time. Without Alma in there with you it was less cramped. You knew she'd likely find you quickly but you didn't care. You didn't want to stay in this dark closet for ages anyway.

Only five minutes later the door opened. Then shut a moment later. At first you were confused, but then someone pushed you against the wall. "Hello, darling." Alma had finally found you. "I see you didn't bother to find a new hiding spot. Not very wise, I found you quickly."

"And what if I wanted you to find me?" She was silent for a moment before taking a step closer to you so she was pressed against you much like when you'd hidden in the closet together. Your breath caught in your throat as she leaned closer to your face. You did the same, once again stopping just before your lips brushed hers.

Except this time, instead of either of you pulling away, Alma took the final leap, and your lips met. It was everything you expected but a million times better. Her lips were soft and welcoming as they moved against your own. You were probably red as a tomato but that was the least of your worries. You lifted your arms up to wrap around her neck to hold her close to you even after you both break for air.

She laughed a bit, resting her forehead against your own. "I never thought I'd get to do that." She said, breathless before leaning in and giving you another kiss, this one lasting a fraction of the time.

"Neither did I." You said with a grin. You both stood there in comfortable silence for a moment holding each other until you broke it. "Don't you have some children you need to find?"

She laughed again and nodded. "Yes, I believe I do." She gave you one last kiss before slipping away from you and to the door. "I'll see you soon, dear." Was that last thing she said before leaving you alone in the dark closet. You made no move to leave for a long while, your brain trying to comprehend what just happened.

In the end you shook it off and went downstairs to the parlor and picked up a book while waiting for the children to be found. One by one they joined you in the parlor. Emma and Olive were found second, apparently having hidden together. Millard joined soon after that. Followed by Hugh and Fiona. Then Aaron was found high in a tree, which was dangerous and therefore against the rules. Claire, Ellie, and Bronwyn had hidden together but couldn't stop giggling which gave away their spot.

The last one to be found was surprisingly, Horace. Who on a dare, hid in Enoch's room. Surprisingly the grumpy boy had allowed him to sit in the corner so long as he didn't make too much noise. Horace gladly agreed and stayed quiet in the the corner of the room no one was allowed to hide in. Though that did mean he was disqualified. Making the twins, who'd successfully hidden the second longest, the new winners. Though as punishment, Horace would still be the seeker the next time the game was played.

—————

That happened-