Chapter 4-Horace's Dreams

"Enoch, you'll be having extra chores for a few days. Don't think I didn't hear your little conversation with Millard earlier." Miss Peregrine said to one of the two boys that stood in front of her. And Millard, I don't want to hear of you slapping anyone again or you'll also be receiving extra chores." They both nodded and went off to join the group of children that had already started their walk. 

Alma then walked over to where you were waiting for her and held out her elbow for you to link your arm through hers. "What was that about?" You asked her as the two of you began to walk behind the group of children.

"Telling them off for that awful conversation earlier. None of what Enoch said was true by the way. I'd never do anything that horrible."

"You don't have to explain yourself, I know very well you wouldn't. No sane person would." Then muttered something under your breath about how sociopaths would. She pretended she didn't hear the last bit and nodded her head humming as she walked at a brisk pace to keep up with the children that sometimes broke out running.

"So I think its about time you answer a few questions." You glanced over at her and nodded. "I want to know what happened at your old loop. How exactly you got here. And if I'm putting my own children in danger by allowing you to stay."

"All reasonable questions. In all of peculiardom I'm sure you know that the main cause for abandoning one's loop are the wights. They found my loop. Two of them raided it, and they brought a hollow with them. I'd managed to lock Aaron, Ellie, and myself in my office. From there we left through a window and evacuated the loop. I knew of only one other loop in Whales, yours. We made our way here as fast as possible before we could age forward. I'm afraid you may be in danger, yes. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but they certainly won't be pleased with any ymbryne that's managed to even momentarily evade them. It'd be wise to prepare for wights to attack. Or maybe you'll kick us out. Either way, I'd understand."

"I won't be kicking you out." She sounded nearly offended you'd think she'd even consider such a thing. "Especially not if you're in any danger. No, you'll be staying here. So long as you want, this is your home now."

You said nothing but looked at her for a moment before redirecting your gaze to your children, playing happily with the others. You felt a smile pulling at your lips before turning back to her. "I'd like that very much."

—————

"Miss G!" Ellie ran up to you, who had been relaxing on a bench in the garden for the past ten or so minutes.

"Yes, dear?" She grabbed your hand to try and pull you up.

"Come on! Everyone's meeting in the parlor now that dinners over. They said they're going to show us Horace's peculiarity and then their reset right after!" You stood us and walked side by side with the little girl, her holding your hand as you walked back to the house.

"That sounds wonderful. We certainly can't miss that, can we?"

When you joined the others Ellie went to go sit by Aaron as you stood in the doorway with Alma who'd flicked the lights off upon your arrival. Horace put on an eyepiece and a projection began to play. "Horace's dreams are often prophetic." The woman next to you whispered. "Or about clothes." She added as the projection began to show Horace purchasing an expensive suit.

The scene then changed and instead showed the very parlor you were in, but it was much brighter and a record was playing in the background. A few of the children were paired up, some dancing together, others dancing alone. Most weren't very good but they were laughing and having a good time, it was enough to make you smile. It then showed you and Alma standing near the wall watching the children have a good time. You sighed and downed whatever was in the cup you were holding before setting it aside and holding a hand out to Alma. She smiled at you and took it, allowing you to lead her further way from the wall to dance. The projection went black before flickering back again, the scene having once more changed. It now showed the closet you and Alma had hid in earlier that day. The screen was really dark and only the silhouette of two people was visible. Except this couldn't have been you and Alma. Because the taller of the two was leaning down towards the shorter one who was pressed back against the wall. Just before they could kiss the scene changed once more. It now showed four people, each with white eyes. You recognized two of them as the wights that had raided your loop. Now them, along with two others, stood in front of Alma's house. Except it wasn't the right house. It was the ruins of the home that wasn't apart of a loop.

Alma flicked the lights on. "It's time for reset." She said simply before leaving. There was a strange tension in the air. Everyone was still trying to process the three visions. The first one was just plain happy, everyone was having a good time. The second was, mysterious? Honestly you have no idea who or why two people were making out in a closet and you couldn't care less. What you were really thinking about was the last vision. There were four wights looking for the loop, there was no doubt about that.

"Come on Miss G, I don't wanna miss reset." Ellie said, grabbing your hand to drag you outside. Emma handed you each a gas mask and gestured for you to put them on. You did so, confused. Though you weren't kept in the dark much longer as you soon realized what the masks were for as planes began flying overhead.

You swept your wards behind you, standing protectively in front of the two as the last plane flew overhead. Alma held her pocket watch as she watched the bomb fall. The last moment everything stopped. No, time stopped. The loop reset, though terrifying, was astounding. The music stopped just as the reset was completed.

Everyone removed their masks, Emma taking yours and your wards to put them back in their places for you. Alma had brought down a second mattress so both your wards could have their own bed as promised. You were brought back to Alma's room. You changed once again into one of her nightgowns in that bathroom, brushing your hair while she changed. After she left the bathroom she sat at her vanity and began pulling pins out of her hair and removing her makeup.

You sat on the edge of her bed, looking at her through the mirror. Her eyes met yours, she stopped pulling pins from her now half down hair and you stopped fiddling with the fingers in your lap as you both momentarily stared at each other. She gave you a smile of which you returned, before going back to her hair. You now looked away from the mirror, laying down in the bed staring at the ceiling.

Alma soon laid down in the bed. "How are you doing?" She asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Today was your first full day here. How was it?" She asked, looking over at you.

"It was nice. I enjoy it here. I must admit, Horace's dreams were.. concerning." You didn't spare her a glance as you thought back on the visions earlier.

"I wouldn't worry too much about it, dear. I think it's best we get some sleep and go over options of what to do tomorrow." She took your hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze before leaning over to her bedside table and flicking the light off. You laid down with your back to her and fell asleep thinking over everything that had happened that day.

—————

I want soup. I can't cook. I starve.