Issue #7: Dinner With The Family

The next day at school, I had my hood up to hide my bruised eye while i was walking to my locker. I got my books out of my locker before slamming the locker shut. I started walking along the hallway before Gwen suddenly caught up with me.

"Hey." I greeted.

"Hi." She responded. She seemed like she must've been trying to figure out what to say to me to start a conversation while we were walking to class.

"How's it going?" I asked trying to break the silence.

"Where you headed?" She completely ignored my question and stepped a bit closer to me. I tried to bring my hair down past my bruise in an attempt to hide it, but it's useless because my hair is too short.

"It's Monday, B track." I answered.

"Oh, it's Thursday."

"It's Thursday?" I stopped walking and looked at her.

"What happened?" She asked.

"What?

"Your eye, it looks bruised."

"Oh, yeah, no, I don't... Maybe I got a rash or something." I said. She tried to get a closer look but I turned my head away from her.

"It's bad. Have you gone to the nurse?"  I nodded, hoping that she won't ask anymore questions. The two of us stared into each other's eyes before Gwen decided to break the silence.

"Do you like branzino?" I looked at her dumbfounded. "Like, a fish."

"No, no. I know what a branzino is." I shrugged. I have no idea what that thing is.

"Well, if you want... you can come to this address at 8:00 tonight." She wrote her address on a piece of paper before handing it to me. "My mom's making branzino. So..." I looked at the piece of paper before Gwen says "It's apartment 2016. I didn't write that part down. I don't know why I..." She said while turning around and laughing at herself while walking away. "I didn't know my address apparently."

"I'll remember it."

"Oh, okay." She turned back around and smiled "2016!"

I nodded and we both smiled at each other. I looked at the piece of paper and tried to remember the apartment number, 2016, 2016, 2016.

°°°°°°°°°°
I was about to enter my house when I saw Dr. Connors standing in front of the porch waiting for me.
"Hey." I greeted him.
"Hi." He responded. "Gwen told me about your uncle, I'm sorry... I remembered your father telling me he was a... Craftsman?"

"Bridges. He built bridges."

"Bridges are America's cathedral, wonderful creations." He said. "When you're ready, I hope you'll come back to the lab. You know you're always welcome at OsCorp."

"I got to get inside." I walked past him and walked towards the door. I was about to open the door before he calls my name. I turned around and saw that he was holding a mouse. "Is that fred?" I asked.

"The one and only." He answered. I took a few steps closer to see the mouse. After I took a closer look, I realized that he grew his missing leg.

"You did it." I told Dr. Connors.

"We, we did it." He said. "You love your uncle?" He asked and I nodded. "Then do something for him, get to work."

"For what?" I asked him.

"I don't know... Build your own cathedral." He said. "And whatever you do try to remember that we must be greater than what we suffered." He patted me in the shoulder before walking away. I turned and entered the house.