Chapter 7

They sit shirtless in bed, George's head falling into the crook of Dream's shoulder as his large hands slowly rub circles into the small of his back. Evening sunlight seeps in through the closed blinds, casting tangerine hues on the pair's bare skin. The other's hair is soft against his skin and he stops himself from reaching up to run a hand through it. He isn't sure how they got here, but he isn't complaining. George was home more often now and the two of them actually got to spend time together. They hadn't even been doing anything. George mumbled something about wanting to see Dream's tattoos again and who was he to deny him? At some point, it turned into a lazy makeout session and George's shirt had come off too, but they were both too tired to do anything more than that. They were absent of their usual desire for one another, their kisses lacking desperation. It was too comfortable, the feeling sent a chill down Dream's spine.

"Tina's throwing another party tomorrow, she and some friends are renting an Airbnb with a pool. Something about a pre-spring break celebration. Wanna come?" George mumbles against his skin, "You need to leave the dorm for something other than soccer." 

"I went to that party with you a couple of weeks ago," Dream sighs, but he knows the other is right. Part of him is scared to spend more time with George outside of the things they do with each other. He worries that the more he gets to know George the more he's going to fall to a place he cannot climb out of, which is the last thing he needs. Still, he knows the majority of his team will be there and it couldn't hurt to bond with them a little bit. "Besides, we have qualifiers next week, I need to be focused on practicing."

George groans, falling back on the bed as he separates himself from Dream, dark hair splaying across the pillows as his own pale fingers trace shapes on his stomach. The blond can't help but lean over him, pressing their lips together gently before he lets himself fall to the side, pulling George over him. It's sickeningly domestic and he knows he shouldn't let themselves entertain this idea of peacefulness between them. He doesn't know who they are once they leave the lust behind. He isn't sure he wants to find out.

After a beat of silence, he caves in to the demand he already knew he was going to. "Fine, yeah, I'll go."

In all honesty, the party isn't that bad. He's sitting with a bottle of water in his hand and his feet in the water as people splash around him. Tina sits next to him, chatting actively with Rae, but besides that mostly everyone is spaced out in their own little bubbles. Across the pool, lit up by the rippled turquoise lighting is George, leaning with his back against the edge of the tile as water laps up against his fair chest. He sips casually on some seltzer while Wilbur sits above him cross-legged on the wet ground. The brunet's hair rests in wetted curls and if Dream wasn't far away and surrounded by people he would try and run his hands through it.

His moment of quiet reflection is interrupted by an elbow subtly jabbing into his ribs. Tina is trying to get his attention, quietly nodding towards the entrance to the backyard, "D-bag, three o'clock."

Dream groans as he follows her line of sight, seeing Damien step into the backyard, being greeted by a few partygoers. Suddenly, the blond is reminded why he never goes to these things. A perfect example of why you should never let a relationship end poorly when the two of you run in the same circles. He focuses his eyes forward, back to George as he takes another sip of his water.

He finds the man already looking at him, seemingly noticing the unwanted partygoer as well, but he makes no moves other than turning his head back to laugh at something Wilbur says. He thinks of the fading marks on George's chest that are hardly visible in the dim lighting of the backyard. He thinks of the loose accusation Damien had made and the fact that he technically knows about them. Dream sighs, trying to ignore his ex heading straight for him as he pays more attention to whatever conversation the girls were having.