Chapter 8

The door creaks shut as he finally enters the dorm he had been avoiding. It's after practice and the sun hangs low in the sky. As much as Dream hoped for the dorm to be empty at this time of day, his roommate was laying casually on his bed, scrolling through his phone. He doesn't look up as Dream enters the room, and he's glad; he isn't sure he could look George in the eyes if he tried.

"I didn't see you this morning," George comments out of nowhere, eyes not lifting from his phone.

Dream softly closes the door behind him, clearing his throat before he speaks, "Uh, yeah, I woke up late and had to just go straight to practice. Sorry."

"You never wake up late."

"I did today," he responds gently, tossing his clothes from last night on the ground. He strips off his practice clothes since he hadn't been able to bring a clean set to change into out of practice. He's not an idiot, he can already sense George's eyes on his bare back, but he refuses to turn around and give him the satisfaction of catching him in the act. Still, he flexes his back muscles ever so slightly as he pulls on a clean shirt, just to be mean.

George doesn't say anything as he watches him change, not for a moment. After his torso is covered, the brunet hums, "Only when you're sleeping with your ex, then."

"Slept, past tense. It's not happening again," the blond sighs, finally turning around to face his roommate. "I don't really understand how that's any of your business, though."

"You're right, it's not."

"Okay."

George gives him a pointed look, "Okay. That's that, then."

A silence falls between them, but Dream's eyes don't leave the other's form even as he very purposefully focuses his gaze on his phone. There is so much more hanging on the edge of his tongue that he aches to say.

Instead, he settles on, "We need to end this."

Finally, finally, he really gets George's attention. The man perks up, tossing his phone onto the sheets as he sits up, hands gripping the edge of the bed. The look on his face is nothing short of bewildered, and Dream can't imagine why he's so confused. There's no normal explanation as to why George is so mad about Damien and there's no normal explanation as to why Dream wants him to be. Somewhere along the way, it seems both of them have pulled a thread, tearing the "no strings attached" agreement to shreds. So, they have a fork in the road. It needs to be settled one way or another or else Dream is going to eat himself alive.

"Where are you getting that idea?" George steps off the bed, crossing his arms as he squares up to Dream's tall form.

"Why do you care so much that I slept with Damien? Why do you care at all, actually?" Dream asks, his voice nothing short of a taunt as a dissatisfied expression settles on his face. "We said we were going to be a secret, we never said anything about being exclusive."

"I don't give a shit if we're exclusive or not, I give a shit that it's him," George retorts with a scoff of disbelief, shaking his head. "He's a douchebag. I'm your friend, I'm not supposed to be happy when you make stupid decisions. Anyone at that party would have gone home with you and you chose him."

Dream shrugs, letting out a passive, "He was going to out you."

It's a shitty excuse and he knows it. George knows it, too. "Yeah, but you didn't have to fuck him. Did you, Dream? I can handle myself, besides it's not like anyone would have even believed him if he tried. Literally all of our friends know that Damien is a liar, they wouldn't put it past him to try and spread rumors about us. I swear, he peaked in high school and is determined to make everyone suffer for it."