the sea

I walk along the beaches of our island, if you could call it that. It's basically a big hollow rock where we live in. I sit down. I'm quite bored. There used to be so many ships here. We're surrounded by shipwrecks but we've been discovered and lately all ships avoid these waters. I spend my days swimming, discovering shipwrecks and trying to avoid my best friends Kai and Neptune. I look out over the calm sea, The sun warms my chest and the wind tenderly touches my black hair. I close my eyes when I hear my name "Chelan!" I roll my eyes "there you are. What are you doing?" Neptune asks excitedly, Neptune is the hyper one of the two. "I'm avoiding you" I say while I lay my head down. "That's understandable, I'd probably avoid me too if I wasn't me." Kai says in an uninterested tone. Kai is the sarcastic one. "We're going for a swim you wanna come?" neptune asks. I think for a bit. "I don't see why not." "Great!!" We walk into the sea and change our legs into our tails. We swim through the ocean. The sun reflects on our scales through the torquoise. Fishes swim elegantly through the reefs. Other sea creatures flee by the sight of beautiful sirens. Sirens are feared by the less powerful sea creatures. That's because we eat some or them. Well, I mostly eat seaweed but that's beside the point. It is known that male sirens are less ruthless than the females. I have no clue why. We swim towards a shipwreck. We enter the ship. It's beautiful altough it's completely ruined. I grab a book from a shelf. "What's that?" Kai grabs it. "Hey, I saw it first" he pushes me away with his tail. He opens the book and tries to read it but it's not our language. "Ah worthless" he throws it on the ground. I pick it up and trace my long sharp fingers over it. "It seams like they valued it" I answer. "Tsk and why would that be?" "Well, there's gold on the pages. They adore gold don't they?" "Oooh lemme see lemme see!!!!" Neptune says excitedly. I show it. "What do you think is written than?" Kai asks while looking at a golden necklace. Kai loves jewellery. He loves everything expensive he's the only siren in my tribe who's been to the human world. He trades things, for food sometimes but most of the time for something they call money. He says it'll be helpful eventually. He is the only siren that speaks human and reads it but he never tells anyone because we're not supposed to know about his trips to the human world. I envy him but I don't have the nerve to go. That's the difference between me and Kai, I value my life he stopped doing that a long time ago. Kai has always been the careless one. I never knew why, he always seems uninterested and you'll rarely see him smile. I don't know his whole story, he came from another tribe when he was 18. Our tribe picked him up but we never knew what happened before we found him. The only thing we know is that he had a large scar on his tail. I don't believe he'll ever tell us about it, he's too private for it. But I can't help but be curious about it. We are still looking through some stuff when something above us obscures the light. Kai looks up. "It's a ship guys" his eyes turn pitch black. "Let's go."