Chapter 8: Downtime

Author's Note's: Quick thing to note. I know that it's extremely rare to own guns in Japan but please just assume it's slightly more common in this world. I'm just saying this cuz I don't wanna be slammed for being 'Unrealistic'

BTW, I just read chapter 113, and I can't believe that Nagatoro might do what she's about to do.
_________________________________________

"Oi! Senpai! Help me over here!" Nagatoro called out for Naoto, who was sorting the remaining food supplies.

It had been two days since Haru's death, and the group had still not recovered from it, especially Sakura, who was still sulking in a Corner. Ever since then, she hadn't said almost a single word, staring silently at the floor as she covered herself with a blanket. Naoto and the others decided to simply give her time, coming over to comfort her from time to time.

The loss of Haru wasn't hitting the others as hard, as they didn't know him that well. Despite that, they still mourned the loss of their fellow classmate.

Nagatoro was in the middle of 'fixing' the broken window, attempting to push a shelf in front of it. If a Zombie were to somehow climb it's way in, then they'd have a lot of trouble. Naoto pushed the shelf alongside her, trying to get it in front of the window.

As they pushed the shelf, Nagatoro's shoulder grazed against Naoto's, causing him to flinch slightly. "S-sorry" He mumbled. No matter what happened, his nervousness around her didn't seem to go away.

Naoto giggled seeing how he reacted to her shoulder rubbing against his. "Look at you, senpai. Acting so flustered over something like this. You creep." She smirked and smacked his head as they finally got the shelf in place.

Naoto adjusted the shelf against the window, making sure that it couldn't be pushed away, while Nagatoro stood next to him, waiting for him to finish.

Naoto caught his breath, sitting down on the floor and leaning on the shelf. "Phew. I'm exhausted." Nagatoro smiled and sat down next to him. "You never were good with sports, right? I'm surprised you've managed to even outrun the Zombies so often."

Naoto turned his head towards the wooden floor bellow him. It surprised him that every time he had a conversation with Nagatoro, the troubles of reality simply faded away. He had almost forgotten that he was in the middle of a Zombie apocalypse for second.

"Well, we should probably get up." Naoto asked, slowly standing up and wiping the dirt from the floor off his pants. "By the way, how is Sakura? Has she still not said anything."

"Not really. Most of the time, she simply sulks around the Supply room, either sleeping or covering herself with a blanket. None of us have been able to cheer her up." Nagatoro responded.

Naoto looked outside one of the windows, staring outside at the concrete floor. "I don't think it will ever be easy to cheer her up If she can see this everytime she walks by the window." Naoto said, his eyes focusing on a spot on the concrete that was splattered with blood and chunks of flesh. Despite it being almost impossible to tell, Naoto knew that those fleshy bits belonged to Haru. After the fall, the Zombies most likely picked apart what remained of him.

"Everytime I walk by the window, I feel like throwing up. Imagine how she feels." Naoto said, closing the window again. Nagatoro nodded. "I guess you're right. For now, only time can tell if she will get better."

_______________________________________________________________

Naoto and the others were sat around in a circle, each one holding a canned good in their hand. The group usually ate togheter, everyone choosing something random to eat from the supplies. Naoto had gotten the short end of the deal, as the canned chicken he liked most had just recently run out, leaving him with all the 'inferior' goods.