Chapter 9: A Quiet Night

Naoto looked up at the ceiling, the starry sky of the night absorbed the surroundings, with nothing being audible other than some quiet footsteps trough the halls.

"I can't sleep."

Naoto stood up from his futon before stretching. He turned his gaze towards the clock. 2:30 A.M.

It was extremely early and he hadn't gotten a single drop of sleep. It was like this most of the time anyways. He'd simply stare at the ceiling for hours at the time, his mind in the clouds.

But weirdly enough... it was his favorite time of day. At night, no one was there to bother him. The Darkness and overwhelming silence calmed him down from everything going on around him. At these times, it was only him, alone with his mind. Or so he thought.

"Senpai?" Naoto flinched as he looked next to him, noticing that Nagatoro had woken up as well. She rubbed her eyes, trying to adjust from the darkness.

"N-Nagatoro...." Senpai responded. "What are you doing up so late?" Nagatoro finally stopped rubbing her eyes, sitting up properly.

"I should be asking you the same thing, Senpai~. Have you been secretly looking at naughty stuff while everyone is asleep? Dirty Senpai~."

Naotos face flared up slightly as he picked up his glasses and shakily put them on. "N-no. Why would you even say that?"

He walked towards the window, taking a look outside. No matter how messed up the outside was, it still looked mesmerizing at night. Despite the city being pretty much destroyed, a few street lights were still functional, glowing dimly to illuminate the streets, which were filled with Zombies that simply wandered around.

"I simply haven't been able to sleep lately, so I just decide to take a walk or look out the window to relax better."

Nagatoro approached him, resting her hand on the window. "Doesn't it kinda get boring to see the same landscape over and over again?" Naoto thought about it for a second, before nodding. "I guess you're right."

Naoto turned towards a wall in the room. "But what else is there to do? We can't really do much at night. Unless..." his eyes were fixated on the wall.

Nagatoro turned her head in confusion. "Senpai? Is something wrong? You're staring at that wall and being all creepy about it." Naoto shook his head. "No. It's nothing." He turned back to her. "Hey. I just remembered..."

"I never actually got to invite you to the summer festival." He blushed a bit, rubbing his finger against his face. "I promised we'd go there next year and everything."

Nagatoro blushed slightly when she remembered that day, covering her face slightly. "Y-yeah. That's true. I guess you didn't." She looked at Naoto, noticing how red he was. Surely he wouldn't mind if she took this opportunity to tease him a bit.

"Don't worry. You're not the only one who broke his promise. I also promised I'd beat Orihara and earn a kiss from you, didn't I?" She said, as a big grin formed on her face, followed by Naoto turning redder than a Tomato.

"U-Uh...Y-Y-Yeah. I guess." He turned to the other side, trying to avoid looking at her, before setting his sight back on the wall.

"Say... Nagatoro." She instantly turned towards him. "Yeah?" Naoto looked at her, his face still red as he swallowed. "I know this isn't the same as going to the festival, but do you wanna stargaze a bit?"

Upon hearing those words, Nagatoro lit up, gasping. "Really?! Of course!" Naoto smiled while at the same time shushing her a bit, before heading for the wall he was staring at the whole time.

Upon further inspection, the wall seemed to have small cracks on the ceiling. Naoto reached for the 'cracks', pushing them slightly. All of a sudden, the 'cracks' opened, releasing a ladder down. "I only just remembered this now, but this room has direct access to the roof, as it's on the highest floor."