Music and Memories

On that particular date, the streets seemed dull but the night remained alive as ever. From her dimly lit room, Alyra marched out into her balcony standing under the adorned sky taking in her surroundings. Unlike all the other times, tonight it seemed people relished in the inactivity rather than bustling on the streets with their friends and colleagues to loosen up from tough days at school or work. Even the lampposts that glowed vibrantly on the other nights seemed to be deserting the streets.

The moon hung in the sky proud as if shouting to the world, "Look the sky belongs to me and I to the sky and none can set us apart." The glory and shine of that white ball got enhanced with the floating clouds that played hide and seek with it. The stars saw their dance and giggled with their twinkles. Alyra sighed to herself holding her coffee mug closer to her. Nights like these always seemed to scratch a fresh ache in her memories. It made her remember that certain someone she longed to be with, every second of the day.

Music flowed in silent waves from behind her room, adorned with the light of her Bluetooth speakers. Where her dim room projected the dullness of their distance aching within her, the sky projected the liveliness of her memories standing as the evidence of her shared love with her precious. Alyra looked up at once, caught in the scenic beauty of the night.

On the other side of the world stood a boy, not much older than Alyra, in his own apartment balcony holding an identical mug to hers in his hands, the only difference being the tea contained in the ceramic instrument opposed to Alyra's coffee. Han's apartment was dim replicating a night sky that only shined with pale stars and an absent moon. In the background played a song particularly close to Han's heart - the song that showered cherry blossoms over the vision of a special girl in his mind. The boy heaved a sigh closing his eyes to picture her more vividly in the canvas of his mind.

He missed her. And he missed her dearly.

On days when he felt weighed down by work, all he wanted to do was loosen his tie, storm into his apartment and collapse into the welcoming arms of his precious who could embrace him and comfort him and run her hands through his hair lulling him to sleep.

Where would she be?

How must she be doing?

Questions and only questions graced his mind with no answers whenever he thought of her.

Does she remember me?

Does she miss me as much as I do her?

Does she desire my arms around her with the same intensity as I long for hers?

Han opened his eyes only to be met by a pompously decorated night sky. The stars shone with such fire as if to tell him, "Yes, she does as much as you and we are here to convey her message so you don't lose hope."

Involuntarily, a smile graced his young face. How much Alyra had loved the sky and maybe she did even now. How she had a craze for all that the sky consisted of. Day and night equally fascinated her. Sun and moon equally beheld her attention. Clouds and stars were of similar softness to her. How Han always wished she had found him as worthy to be gazed upon as she did the sky.

Both the humans separated by the tides of distance unknowingly drifted to each other's memories. The best friends desired and longed for each other's presence dearly. The young lovers slid down the respective rails of their balcony windows; Han sitting on the ground gazing up at the sky and Alyra making herself comfortable in the serenity of the dull night.

Please tell me,

What's hidden in your heart.

I'll not tell anyone.