#49 - He's Missing Out

"I can't believe you think the second movie's better!" You cried.

"It is! I can't wait for the third one though." Your best friend, Marcel, replied.

"We'll have to get tickets for the day it premiers." You said.

"Definitely!" Marcel agreed.

You and Marcel were having a Marvel movie marathon, and were currently arguing over which Guardians of the Galaxy movie was better.

"So, which movie are we watching next?" Marcel questioned.

"Um, actually...can we talk for a minute?" You asked nervously.

You had something important that you needed to get off your chest. Something you'd wanted to tell Marcel for a long time, but had been too afraid to. See, recently you'd started to grow feelings for Marcel. You'd wanted to tell him for a while, however you weren't sure how he'd react, or whether he'd feel the same way about you. But you decided to bite the bullet and just tell him how you felt.

"Sure." Marcel shrugged.

"Well, um...you and I have been friends for a really long time now. But recently I've started to see you as something...more." You explained.

"Ah, I get it. Like, a brother?" Marcel asked.

"Oh, um, no. Not exactly...I meant like, more than a friend." You told him.

You weren't sure how Marcel would respond. The two of you had been friends for so long, and hearing that you felt this way was probably a shock to him. In the end, the reaction you got wasn't one you expected – Marcel burst out laughing.

"Good one (Y/N)!" He laughed. "That's hilarious."

"Oh, uh, yeah. Glad you...found it funny." You said, with a fake laugh.

"Anyway, what film d'you wanna watch next?" Marcel asked.

"Um...you can pick. I'm just...gonna get some fresh air for a sec." You told him.

"Okay." Marcel replied.

So you got up from the couch and headed out to the garden. Marcel's older brother Trent was out there practicing his free kicks – he was a professional footballer for Liverpool. He was so focused that he didn't notice you walk by, as you headed for the bushes at the back of the garden. You and Marcel always used to make dens behind the bushes, and you knew that no one would find you back there.

You pulled your knees into your chest and let the tears you'd been holding back up to now fall. In all honesty, you hadn't expected Marcel to return your feelings. But you also hadn't expecting him to laugh at you. That had made you feel absolutely tiny.

"(Y/N)? What are you doing back here?"

You quickly dried your eyes and looked up at the sound of Trent's voice. Since you were round so often you'd built up a friendship with Marcel's older brothers.

"Getting some fresh air. You?" You replied. Trent pointed to the football that had landed on your right hand side.

"Wait that didn't hit you did it?" He asked in concern.

"No. I didn't even know it was there." You answered.

"Okay good. Anyway, what's wrong?" Trent questioned, sitting down next to you on the floor.

"Nothing, I'm fine." You lied.

"But, I just saw you crying." Trent said.

"No you didn't." You said in a small voice.

"I did. You can tell me whatever's bothering you." Trent said softly.

"You'll kill me."

"Now why would I do that?" Trent chuckled.

"I told your brother I like him...as more than a friend." You confessed.

"And I'm guessing it didn't go as you hoped it would?"

"He laughed at me." You sighed, trying to push back the tears that had sprung into your eyes.

"Hang on, what?" Trent frowned.

"He thought I was kidding." You said.

"Why would he think that?" Trent asked.

"I dunno. Maybe it's because we've been friends for so long. Or maybe it's because the idea of me with a boyfriend is funny." You shrugged.

"Hey, don't say that." Trent said. "Listen, I dunno what got into my brother when he laughed at you because you don't deserve that."

"He probably didn't mean anything malicious by it." You told him.

"I can talk to him if you want me to." Trent offered.

"It's fine. I don't really wanna ruin our friendship. If he liked me back he would've said." You pointed out, wiping away the tears falling down your cheeks. You heard Trent sigh.

"Come here." He said, opening his arms. You accepted the hug, trying hard not to cry on Trent's shoulder but ultimately failing.

"Marcel doesn't know what he's missing. You're a lovely girl (Y/N). He's missing out." Trent told you.

"He could do way better than me." You scoffed.

"I beg to differ." Trent argued.

"Hey, how was your free kick practice going? I noticed you practicing when I came out here." You questioned, trying to change the subject seeing as you were blushing at Trent's comments.

"Well, the ball ended up back here. Enough said." Trent told you.

"Were they all that bad?" You teased.

"Hey!" Trent pouted. "But yes, yes they were. Maybe you can show me how it's done."

"But I'm no good." You told him.

"Can't be any worse than mine have been today. Come on, it'll be fun."

Trent got up from the floor and held out a hand for you to follow suit. You gave in, taking Trent's hand and pulling yourself off the floor. You followed him back out to the garden, where he set up the ball.

"After you." Trent said, stepping back.

You positioned the ball before taking a few steps back. You ran up and kicked the ball, which landed in the back of the net but with no power behind it.

"Well, that's still closer than I've got today. You just need to get a bit more power behind it. If you kick the ball with the side of your foot you'll get the power you need." Trent explained. "Try again."

Trent retrieved the ball and you positioned it, following Trent's instructions. This time, the ball sailed into the top corner.

"Wow, that was brilliant." Trent told you. "No pressure for me to score then." He joked.

Trent retrieved the ball once again and set up before taking a shot. His too landed in the top corner.

"That's the first one I've scored all day." He said. "You must be some kind of lucky mascot."

"Seems like it." You joked. "Thanks for cheering me up by the way."

"Oh, no worries. I'm glad I could make you feel better." Trent smiled.

"(Y/N)? Trent?" Marcel frowned, joining you two in the garden.

"Oh, hey Marc. Trent was just showing me how to take a free kick." You told your friend.

"What about our movie marathon?" Marcel asked.

"Why don't you join us." You suggested.

"Well, okay." Marcel shrugged.

So the three of you spent the rest of the afternoon playing football in the garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soo, turns out this book passed 50K reads and 500 votes...thank you so so much to everyone for reading this book and for voting! I didn't expect to get 1K reads, let alone 50K, so I'm really really grateful. I also can't believe the next one shot will be the 50th!

Thank you so so much for reading, and I'll be back soon with another one shot :)

El xx