Steffon I

"We will need a glorious group of knights to protect us from these savage Dornish, my wife. They shall be named the Kingsguard and will protect us with their lives," The young princess Rhaenyra proclaimed in an adorable attempt at a kingly voice.

"That's not how it went!" Protested Alyssa, "It was Visenya who created the Kingsguard not Aegon," Rhaenyra made to scowl though it was more of a pout on her childish features.

Ser Steffon's young charge had been brought by Rhaenyra to her chambers so they could play Aegon and Visenya. Though the game turned into Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys when Alyssa insisted on joining.

Ser Steffon would have thought it would make sense for the only boy to play Aegon but Rhaenyra didn't seem to agree with his conclusion and had insisted on being the Conqueror which ended up with Baelon as the Wielder of Dark Sister. Ser Steffon had been roped into being any of the siblings' various enemies, from Harren the Black King of the Isles, to young Ronnel Arryn the King who Flew, even Meria Martell the Yellow Toad of Dorne.

"I'm the king!" Replied Rhaenyra, "If I want to be the one to make the Kingsguard then I'll be the one to make the Kingsguard! Why are you even still here? You should have left after dying in Dorne."

"Baelon doesn't want me to leave," Alyssa proclaimed, "He enjoys my company."

It was amusing for Ser Steffon to see both young girls turn to the young prince for help only to find him yawning with his face in his hand while staring out the window. It was equally amusing the way both girls shot him sympathetic looks, taking his boredom as support towards their side.

"Even if that were true as I'm the king I could order you away."

"Baelon would come with me if you did," Alyssa declared confidently, "We are twins. We won't ever be separated for long, everyone says so," The statement earned another pout from Rhaenyra and it was all Steffon could do to continue fighting the smile that had been working its way up his face since the children had begun the adorable play.

It was true that the twins were seldom seen apart and anywhere one went in the Red Keep they might hear servants and ladies alike gushing over the young dragons.

Baelon was praised for his maturity, quiet wit, and grace while Alyssa was praised for her charming nature and fearlessness, many claimed that she was in nature the replica of both her father and grandmother. Many of those same people claimed that Baelon was the image of Jaehaerys in his youth.

For most they were seen as a spot of sunshine in an otherwise bleak and fretful capital. Most of what the people said of the 'Bronze Dragons' was even true. Baelon seemed quiet and shy at first glance but it would only take a single conversation with him to notice his intelligence. Much greater than that of any child Ser Steffon had ever met before, not that he had met many.

Those in court who did not know the two well would claim Alyssa had Baelon wrapped around her little finger but Ser Steffon had seen first hand that it went both ways. He knew that the reason for the twins always being in close contact was Alyssa, the young girl would cry if away from her brother for too long and always needed to be reassured and comforted by him. 

Luckily for her, Baelon was not like most other four year olds and was capable as well as willing to provide his sister the comfort she sought. 

A knock at the door broke Steffon from his thoughts and caused him to take a step forward while the Kingsguard tasked with protecting Rhaenyra, Ser Harrold Westerling, fell back towards their young charges.

"You may enter," Rhaenyra called out as she moved to sit beside Baelon.

Of course Alyssa immediately responded to this by moving to sit on the other side of her brother.