Alyssa II

For much of the past year Alyssa had little to be happy about. After all, her brother had been stolen away from her.

That wasn't supposed to happen. Brothers and sisters are always supposed to be together. Especially twins, and everyone said that Baelon and Alyssa would never be separated for long.

Mother had attempted to explain to Alyssa why her brother had to remain in King's Landing but Alyssa hadn't wanted to listen. She may have gone a bit crazy when she learned that Baelon wasn't allowed to visit but that was a perfectly reasonable reaction to having her twin stolen if Alyssa might say so herself.

Mother certainly hadn't agreed. When Alyssa had set some of her nicer dresses on fire Mother had responded by locking Alyssa in a room without any torches or candles for her to make use of. She had tried to write Baelon and ask him to come save her but Mother had refused to send the letters.

Eventually Alyssa had been let out of her little prison and she'd admit that maybe she had overreacted a tad. Still, Baelon was hers, it was completely unfair that Rhaenyra got to have him for nearly a whole year and all Alyssa could get was a couple letters. She's a Princess too isn't she?

But none of that mattered now because Baelon was coming home.

Two weeks ago Alyssa had received a letter from her twin saying that he would be home for their name day and she couldn't remember the last time she was so happy.

Alyssa wondered how Baelon would look after so long apart. Would he be big and strong like Father? Probably not. Without Alyssa there to drag him outside how was he ever to get any exercise? No doubt Baelon had spent his days in the Red Keep reading books and crying because he was separated from his sister. Alyssa wouldn't judge him too much for that, without Baelon around she had hardly anybody to talk to and she had cried just as much as he doubtlessly had.

So Alyssa would make sure he was completely comfortable when he arrived. She ordered the servants to move his old things into her room as Baelon would of course wish to spend as much time as possible with her.

For a moment Alyssa felt another spark of rage at the thought of how long her and Baelon were apart. But it didn't matter, Father had always said that once Alyssa was seven or eight name days old she'd get a dragon of her own and in three weeks she'd turn eight.

She had thought that with her brother having a dragon it would be enough for the two of them to never be split up but clearly Baelon wasn't strong enough to leverage Vhagar into getting the things that mattered most. No matter.

Once she and Baelon both had dragons of their own they'd never be separated again. She'd make sure of it.

_

A roar woke Alyssa from her sleep. It wasn't a high pitched screech like Father's Caraxes but a low and resounding rumble that seemed to shake the very foundations of Runestone. Of course being awoken in such a way did little to scare Alyssa, a sound like this one could only mean one thing. Baelon had returned.

The moon was still high in the sky but there were no candles to light up Alyssa's room due to her mother's reluctance to let her around any kind of flame so when she went to rush out of her bed she found herself tripping over her sheets and onto the cold stone floor. She let out a sharp gasp of pain but still she was undeterred.

Her brother was home and she was determined to be the first to greet him. So she quickly slipped a more substantial dress over her nightgown and rushed out of her room, stumbling a bit from the burning of her scraped knees.

Her usual guards weren't there, no doubt they had raced to receive Baelon with a greeting fit for a Prince like him. Alyssa found herself giggling at the thought. Her brother being treated as though he were a dashing Prince returning from war was a funny idea to her. After all he most likely spent all his days cooped up in the Red Keep doing nothing but reading! It was truly a shame that she wasn't there at Bael's side while he was in King's Landing, Alyssa thought. She would've gotten him up and out of his room and helped him make friends and gone riding with him. She was always the only one who could do those things, it was a perk of being a twin, she thought.