Baelon III

My opponent raised his sword as quickly as he could but he barely got it up in time before I batted it away and followed up with a strike at the older boy's head that sent him stumbling. I was quick to follow after him and lashed out with a kick that sent him to the ground and knocked his sword out of his hand. I walked after him and brought my sword above my head.

"I yield!" Benedar was quick to yell out and immediately I stopped the strike, throwing my training sword to the ground and tearing off the incredibly stuffy helmet all of us were made to wear.

"Good fight, Ben," I smiled down at the boy and offered him a hand which he used to help himself up, "You've gotten better," I told him and I could hear Wyl Waynwood scoff from the side of the yard while Alyssa and Alayne Lynderly cheered for my victory.

Two years ago, shortly after Daemon's visit leading up to the Great Council, Rhea announced to us that Jeyne Arryn would be coming to foster in Runestone. With her came many other young Lords and Ladies and so Runestone has been more akin to an elementary school than a keep for the past few years.

The most notable of these young Lords and Ladies was of course Jeyne herself. She was an adorable child with long brown hair and grey eyes. Her personality was a lot like my sister's and they had become fast friends which led to me spending the most time with her out of any of the other kids.

"You did an amazing job Bael!" Alyssa was upon me the moment I had the massive bulk of wool and leather off of my body and wrapped me up in a hug, getting my sweat all over her dress.

"You get better everyday, Baelon," Jeyne was much more subdued than Alyssa but from the way she was smiling you would think I had just won a gold medal. It was refreshing how important everything was to children. The enthusiasm they had for a six year old beating up an eight year old with a stick was pretty infectious.

Of course it went both ways and the slightest insult was pouted over for weeks.

"I wouldn't celebrate too much. Little Ben is the worst swordsman I've ever seen and Baelon still is no match for me," Arnold Arryn was seven years older than me and had accompanied Jeyne from the Eyrie. I had tried to cozy up to him just as I had the other children but Alyssa and Jeyne had kept me away from him for the most part. 

Understandable considering the way the boy always went on about how much stronger and capable men were than women whenever he got the chance. I wondered if he had any idea exactly who's castle he was in.

"Baelon is still young, cousin. But give him a few years and I'm sure he'll be to your level, perhaps even to the level of Adrian," Adrian Redfort was the best swordsman out of the older boy's and Arnold had never beaten him.

Arnold's face turned red and he opened his mouth to reply in what would no doubt be another long winded argument between the cousins but Alyssa was already pulling me away.

Since the young Lords and Ladies had come to Runestone I had done my best to get to know each of them as well as I could and let them develop some fondness for me. Even if all they could remember of me was, "That kid I used to play with as a child," I would consider that a win.

There was Benedar Belmore, the second son to Lord Belmore, who I was closest to save for Alyssa and Jeyne. He had red hair and blue eyes and like Arnold said he was the worst of us all with a sword, bow, riding, or anything physical. He spent all of the time he could in the library which is where I had most of my interactions with him.

Besides him there was Robar Hunter, heir to house Hunter, who was larger and older than Ben but not by much. He had brown hair and brown eyes and was the fastest of us along with being best with a bow.