Daemon II

"You seem upset father," Daemon was breaking his fast with Baelon and his son was once again showing how observant he was.

"That would be because I am upset, my son," Daemon responded, "The King has insulted us."

When Daemon had brought Baelon to King's Landing with him he had sworn to his son that he would be named Hand of the King. Now less than two years later, that had not only not happened but Daemon had been removed from both his post as the Master of Coin and Laws.

"I am Viserys' only brother, the last adult Targaryen still living besides him," Daemon raged, "And not only does he refuse to name me his Hand but he removes me from what little position he could be bothered to give."

"I'm sure you have misunderstood things, father," Baelon insisted.

"There is nothing to misunderstand. The Watch is a corrupt group of underpaid and under equipped criminals. The people of the city hate them, they are more than happy to let a rapist go unpunished for a few copper stars."

"Then change them," Baelon interrupted, "His Grace has left you your seat on the Small Council has he not? That proves he still values you."

"And yet he still won't make me his Hand," Daemon groused.

"Ser Otto has served well and the Hightowers are an important family in the Reach," Daemon scowled at the mention of the man, "But do not think of what you haven't been given, think of what you have. What strength did you truly have as the Master of Coin or Laws?"

"Little," Daemon admitted.

"And now Viserys has given you an army 3,000 strong inside of the capital," His son said, "An army which, as its Commander, you are expected to arm as you see fit as well as place those who you trust in charge of. He has made you the strongest man in the Capital."

Daemon considered his son's words for a moment before a small smile spread across his face and he laughed and stood, "Along with being a great swordsman you give such sage wisdom, my son," He said ruffling his hair, "You will make a great... ruler some day."

Daemon didn't think it was possible for him to be more proud of his son. Already it was said he had the makings of a great warrior and he had been brave enough to claim the largest dragon in the world at four.

He surrounded himself with knights fiercely loyal to him and made friends with anyone he spoke to. The people of the keep whispered that he was a genius not seen since Jaehaerys.

"I'm sure you would have realized it yourself, father," Baelon said, wrapping him in a hug, "You just couldn't look past your anger in the moment," Daemon's smile threatened to split his face as he lifted his son up before pressing a kiss to his brow. At least one of his children didn't resent him.

Alyssa still refused to write and only responded to Baelon's letters. When Daemon had separated the two it had not been out of any malice as his daughter seemed to think. Viserys often spoke of how lonely Rhaenyra seemed in the Red Keep and he had known that Baelon and her shared letters, though it was more them telling servants what to write than writing themselves.

So, Daemon had decided to bring Baelon but, he didn't want to leave Rhea with neither of their children and knew that Alyssa had made good friends with Jeyne so had left her.

He had perhaps underestimated just how attached the twins were, or rather just how attached Alyssa was. Perhaps it was a sister thing, Daemon knew his mother had been the same with his father but he himself had never been that close to Viserys.

Sure he had played with his brother when they were young and hung around him as they got older but when they were separated neither cried or threw fits. Alyssa however, was a terror. She had threatened to set her clothes along with other things on fire and it was only thanks to Baelon talking with her and swearing to visit that she had calmed down at all. Though, she still hadn't stopped pouting when they left.