5.2

JONQUIL POV

I heard the doors slam against the wall as it was thrown open and Maex rushed in completely out of breath, but before I could even get a teasing word out he blurted out something that had my mouth gapping open and my blood running cold.

"Daemon didn't sleep with the Princess Rhaenyra."

I took a moment to compose myself, shaking my head to gather up my thought. Where had he heard such a thing, we had been rather quiet about it I thought. Who did he hear it from? Who had the princess slept with? "How did you even know-"

"I overheard you and father talking about it the other day, and it's not true."

My hands went to my hips and I gave him a scolding glare that I found only a mother could produce. "Maexes Pendragon, what have I told you about eavesdropping."

"That doesn't matter right now. It was Ser Criston Cole, the man that the Princess slept with, it was Ser Criston Cole." He rushed out, his voice desperate to be heard, pleading for the truth to be heard and believed.

"Where did you hear this?" I crouched down to be eyes level with him and grabbed him by his shoulders, shaking him slightly. "Where did you hear this, Maexes? Tell me where you heard this right now!"

"I-" He looked sheepishly down at his feet. "I was eavesdropping again and I overheard Ser Criston himself admit it to the Queen."

Oh, Gods. If Alicent...I had told her...trust Rhaenyra...Ser Criston? So many thought raced through my mind that I thought I might have to sit down or else find myself lying down on the floor. "She wants to see you. Now, mother." I gulped and started breathing heavily; mentally preparing myself to leave. I felt as if I was in a fever dream.

"Mother, are you going to be alright?" His voice sounded distant, as did the door closing, and Aurelius's usually loud steps.

"Ah, there you are darling. Alicent, the Queen, told me to tell you she wishes to see you in her chambers." I nodded, not truly seeing him. "Are you alright?" I nodded again and walked out the door as Aurelius's voice faded even further from my ears.

My thought were racing the entire time and I couldn't even finish one thought before another took its place. My breathing felt loud and my heart was pounding, I was sure that I could hear my very blood pumping through my veins at that moment. I arrived at Alicent's chambers far sooner than I would have liked and when I went to knock on the door I saw how shaky my hand were. I brought it back down to grip it in my other hand, taking a few deep breath before digging my nails deep into my palms and giving a hard knock.

"Enter." Her voice called, but it lacked its usual sweetness; she knew it was me, somehow she knew. When I entered I saw her bouncing Aelthea on her hip. Aelthea who was meant to be with the Prince Aegon all day.

I cursied and bobbed my head to her, something I usually didn't do but now felt necessary. "My Queen. You requested me?"

"Yes, I did, hours ago. I think you know exactly why you're here." I hesitantly met her gaze. Betrayal lurked in her deep brown irises and a guilt crawled up my throat and made me worry I might vomit the feeling up. "You lied to me."

"Alicent, my Queen, I would never. I told you I believed her about Daemon." I took a step forward but quickly stopped in my tracks as she straighten up and glared; she looked at me as if I was some stranger who dared to even think that they had the right to be in her presence, instead of her best friend.

"But you did think that she had spoiled herself with someone. I know that now that I have had time to reflect on you're behavior the other day after we had left the Godswood."

Beginning of the End | House Of The Dragonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें