The Beautiful You

Summary

Seventeen-year old Apollo Reyes-Perez is struggling to understand two things: his identity and his best friend's suicide. But when Amory Hartmann, the new boy in town, catches his attention, he discovers that the answers to those questions may be more complicated than he had anticipated.

......

After the passing of his best friend, Apollo is left in an unfamiliar world, or perhaps one he never understood. Swimming, friends, and family. That was Apollo's universe. Until one day it wasn't. His friends expect too much, his parents don't talk enough, and swimming feels wrong. It only took one day for his life to change.

Isn't the world supposed to stop when the person closest to you is gone? That's what he believed. But when the realities of growing up as a Mexican-American teenager hurdle towards him, he must accept the simple fact that life goes on. This becomes abundantly clear when Amory Hartmann enters his life, forcing Apollo to face the parts of himself he intended to keep hidden. Pieces of himself he's been too afraid to share with a boy.

Will Apollo learn to leave the past behind him and move towards the future, or will his demons keep dragging him back to the darkest point of his life?

Author's Note:

Hello, beautiful readers! Thank you for your intrest in my book, it means a lot to me. Before you continue I think it's important for you to know that this book contains sensitive and triggering topics like mental health, and the loss of a loved one by suicide. Triggering topics also include: anxiety, panic attacks, and grief.

Please keep this in mind if you decide to continue.

If you or a loved one is going through a mental health crisis please call your state's mental health crisis helpline, or national helpline.

Services for LGBTQ youth:

The Trevor Project (Call 1-866-488-7386) or (Text 678-678)
There is always hope and many services and people who are willing to help!

I hope that this story and the characters are able to resonate with you.

- jeki

The Beautiful You updates two chapters every Saturday! Have no fear; the whole story is already plotted out, and halfway to completion as of 09/21/2022!

Playlist
(you'll notice that the chapters are actually named after songs, so enjoy a long playlist)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1tbuXtEHupsxnDqcOJB5vM?si=c160fb7fef0f4c23

com/playlist/1tbuXtEHupsxnDqcOJB5vM?si=c160fb7fef0f4c23