Life After Death-Xander

When the golden fire dissipates form my mouth and all the emotions I built up in my chest fade. I disconnect my lips from her as I stare into her face. Her skin that was once pale and cold now looks red and flushed. Where my skin touches her I can feel a light tingle. I have no idea if it is because of the amount of power I just expended or if it really is the bond. A huge part of me hopes it's the latter.

"Do you feel anything" I ask my dragon as he paces in my mind. My body sags so that I sit on the back of my calves as my energy wanes. Everything that just happened has left me more drained than I have ever felt.

No I don't understand. It should have worked. Why didn't it work?

He screams in my head as large tears roll down his face. As gently as I can I peck her lips once more and lay her on the rocks. The light of hope that lit in my chest has now faded to a cloud of despair. I rise to my feet shakily and I can feel as Derrick catches me to stop me from falling. I can't even meet his gaze or that of Maximus. There is nothing here for me anymore. I stare at her as I recall everything that got me to this moment.

I messed up from the beginning of it all. I tried to force her to rationalize what I was. I never once made her see how much she meant to me. I've never even truly held her. As the thoughts run through my head I can feel my feet moving back ward. I can't continue to see her like this. Maximus steps forward and grabs onto my arms. I shake him off as I look at her. There is nothing that he can say to change what just happened.

"Xander you cant. You can't leave us. You are our alpha." He pleads.

My gaze finally finds his. The tears in his eyes cause nothing to rise in me. I know that this will hurt them. It will hurt them now and later. However, I don't care. The fact that he thinks I can stay after this pisses me off. My dragon rushes forward and with our combined strength we punch him so hard that he has thrown away from us as we roar.

I pace in the place where I stand as our words leave my mouth. "And you believe that we should stay. I gave up everything for the vision of HER. My parents followed me here because I wanted HER. I loved HER before I even knew what she looked like. She is who brought me the strength to be your alpha!" I scream at him when he rises to stand.

In a flash he's right in my face and shoving me back with a punch to my chest. A growl leaves my chest as we laugh at the sorry attempt. His hit didn't even send us back five feet. "You need to pull it together. We can find a way Xander. There is always another way."

I close the distance between us in a blur. My hand wraps around his throat as I pick him up off his feet. "You think your bullshit speech will be enough to stop ME. You know what it's like to lose your mate but at least she still existed. Without her, I am NOTHING. There is no love in a world without MY mate. There is no room to be your alpha. There is no other way but death. Seeing as our doctors haven't figured that one out yet, I have no option but to leave."

He is nothing to us now. I can take it from here. All you have to do is let go..

He tries to unwrap my fingers from his throat as my dragon preens at his pain. After everything this is something that makes us feel better. Pain is what we know now. It's all that we would ever know. HE gets to go home to his mate. Soon HE will have a child. I will never have that chance. HE deserves to feel what I feel so that he can understand. But I can't take that away from him. My hand releases him in a flash and he falls to the ground. I turn away from him as I start to walk away.

They should all know our pain. What they felt through our link is nothing.

"Yeah. Some mighty Alpha you are. The only thing that I see is a coward. At least when my mate left I still lived for her. I didn't just decide to give up like a little bitch because I couldn't handle my feelings" he taunts as I clench my teeth and my feet stop. He's making the thought of killing him sound better and better.