The Chief

Aiming to have more interactions with Strider.
Enjoy and comment

I am sitting in my bed reading when an idea pops in my mind. I stand up and head to Strider's room to knock.

"Yes Narwyn?"

"Can you braid my hair?"

"No."

"Pleaseee?"

"No." I pout but stay at the door.

"Is it because I stole your cape?"

"No."

"Is it because I stole you brush?"

"No."

"Is it because I used all of the warm water?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry but you take ages to come back from the watch and I don't know how much water you need."

"Less then you."

"I have longer hair, Strider." I say matter of factly.

"I know."

"Will you talk to me tomorrow?"

"Maybe."

"Alright, night." I leave his door and go back to my room. Strider has been having moods since he became Chief so I am trying to loosen him up . He's different than Clirst so I don't know what to do. Clirst seemed amused form the stealing. Strider not. I have to find other stuff for him to take it easy.

I toss and turn for hours but nothing seems to put my mind at ease. I growl in frustration and stand up quietly. I open my window and leave from there with my cape. It's the warmest thing I own. Strider wanted it back but when he learned that it was the warmest thing I owned, he let me keep it.

"Lathron, my boy. We are going on a midnight's stroll." I whisper in the stable and he nudges me to set him loose. I do so and we leave in the dead of the night.

--

"That was very refreshing, don't you think?" I pat my stead who agrees. We ride back to the camp.

"Morning Nas." I greet my best friend.

"Morning Narw. Question, what did you do to make him so worried about you?" I look at him baffled.

"Strider came in this morning, he's apparently upset you so much that you left without leaving a letter." Nas climbs on Lathron with me.

"Na Belain! I'm not a child." (By the Valar) I roll my eyes.

"Don't say that to his face. He's worried and angry." Nas warns. I click my tongue and Lathron goes to the stables faster. We climb off and I go to my cabin. No Strider. I go to the feast cabin. No Strider.

"Have you seen the Chief?" I ask one of our scouts.

"He went training." I nod and go to find him. I look around and find him clashing swords with another Ranger furiously. I cross my arms and watch them analysing. Strider ends up winning, luckily, and stops to calm down.

"You can take the shower now and there will be warm water." I say softly. He turns around and glares at me.

"Where were you?!" He hisses.

"On a ride." He approaches me and grabs my arms.

"Alone in the night."

"I'm 51, not a child, Strider. I travel alone most of the time anyway. What's up with that?" He takes a deep breathe in and out.

"You like being in the nature at night then you will be coming with me on nights watch." He orders. I take a step back. Why is he being so cold?

"I like being alone once in a while very often." I explain.