Chapter 31

TWO DAYS LATER, ANYA SAT IN her bed, watching as Saul bounced Sasha up and down to stop her from crying - which worked

"You know I can look after her Saul, I dont need to stay in this bed forever," she said, sitting up with a wince.

"You will pull your stitches honey, I've got her," he said, smiling down at his daughter in his arms.

Anya sighed. She knew that he would be okay with her but she also wanted to help.

After the attack, Musa had her powers drained and all of Anyas powers had returned seeing as it was only a temporary issue.

But physically she was having to rest. She'd hit her head pretty hard and had a bad concussion and the scrapers had ripped off a slice of her abdomen and it had been stitched up - fairy magic wouldn't work on the wounds.

"I don't have to teach today, I know you told me to go back but I can stay with you for another day," Saul said sitting down on the bed next to her.

"No, no, I think I'd like to work. I've got meetings and I have to get Rosalind to remove this," she said, gesturing to her back.

He helped her up and helped her to get ready. She was able to walk on her own mostly with the occasion wince from the stitches.

She made it to Rosalinds office where she welcomed them in.

"I know why you're here," Rosalind said, not even looking up from her work.

"Can you remove it or not?" Anya asked and Rosalind got up, walking over to her.

"Of course, turn around," she said and Anya did, pulling down her jacket to reveal the gem.

She sighed in relief when she felt it pull from her skin, her words free again. There was nothing holding her back.

"Do you want to say it?" Rosalind asked, holding the gem out for Anya to take. It was black and metallic and almost rustic. She didn't want to see it ever again.

She shook her head, "Not yet, I still have to figure it all out," she said "But thank you for doing this, it means a lot to me,"

"I shouldn't have done it in the first place, I'm sorry Anya," Rosalind stated, placing her hand on her shoulder, "But we do have some business to attend to,"

She explained the situation of Sky leaving his post last night and files being stolen from Sauls desk.

Sky was called into thr officer and Saul froze when he saw him, they still hadn't talked since andreas died, "Sky, how are you?" Saul asked awkwardly.

"A little tired from my night shift bu-" he said before Rosalind cut him off.

"Saul put you on guard duty because he said we could trust you," She said.

"Well you can trust me, what's going on?" Sky asked, scoffing at the idea that anything was wrong.

"We think someone broke into the East Wing last night. My office door was jimmied and files were out of place," Saul explained.

"Important files Sky, ones that contain troop movements and asset lists," Anya said and he looked over to see her sitting in the chair next to Saul.

"Information the blood witches would kill for. But they just snuck past out loyal but sleepy guard," Rosalind said, her snarky nature back.

His brows furrowed together in confusion, "I didn't see anything. I swear," Sky said defensively.

"Rosalind, if he says he didn't see anything, he didn't see anything," Saul said when she began to protest

"Thank you Sky, you're dismissed," Rosalind sighed and he walked out, looking at Saul and Anya once more before leaving.

☆☆☆

LATER THAT DAY, SAUL WALKED out into the courtyard and watched as Sky picked up a flash off the floor, shaking his head.

"You were drunk, last night, that's why you don't remember," Saul said and Sky turned to look at him.

He sighed, "Apparently, Grey found me passed out in the east wing," he said as he shook his head, "So are you going to lecture me,"

"No, I've gotten drunk and done things I regretted at the time," he said with a half hearted smile, "When I thought I'd killed Andreas, I got drunk for two years straight,"

Saul smiled to himself, memories from 17 years ago cropping back up in his mind.

"Anya hated me cause of it for a while. Until you were about two, I was a pretty shitty fake dad," he explained, "Then you got older and I realised that I had a job to do, I'm still here trying to do that job,"

Sky had never seen Saul be so open. He had always belived he had had the perfect childhood and nothing could have been better.

"I can't train, every time u puck up my sword-" he said, shaking his head.

"-you're back there I know. When you need to fight you will fight, I promise," Saul said, cutting into his conversation.

He knew how difficult it was going to be for him to get over it. It took him years to forgive himself for what he had done and it would take Sky time as well.

"I was so nearly there will Andreas, I thought I might have a future with him," Sky said, sounding defeated.

He had wanted a father figure in Andreas, he knew he was a nasty piece of work but it was his dad.

"That's your future, you tried to predict your future. We're soldiers Sky, we don't get that," Saul explained.

He knew all too well that future wasn't guaranteed. Months ago he had thought he'd never see Anya again but now he was living with her and his child.

"That's fucked up," Sky announced, shaking his head.

Saul sighed, "Yes, life is fucked up and guess what, it doesn't care about your plans. Ask Anya, she'll tell you all about it,"

"About that, Beatrix told me something weird. She said stuff about my mum," Sky said and Saul tensed up.

"What stuff?" Saul asked, getting very defensive all of a sudden.

Now that Anya had the gem removed she could finally tell him the truth and he wasn't going to let someone else tell him.

"You know about it, don't you?" Sky questioned, he knew that defensive look on Silvas face.

"Ask Anya about it, she'll tell you everything you need to know about your mum," he said, placing a hand on Sky's shoulder before walking away.

1209 words