Chapter 23: Just Golden

It was upsetting knowing Mikey was sick..and knowing they couldn't do anything but wait was the worst part. They each took turns watching him, making sure one of them was always with him when he woke briefly even if it was only to coo and comfort him. Three days later the manager returned, she didn't stay long just a check on things and Mikey.

"He's such a good boy..he'll be perfectly happy here." She said to Freddy as he watched her mess with a few things on the control panel in the security office. "Has the new programing caused any issues with you guys?"

"Random things.." Freddy said watching her something about her bothering him in a way he couldn't pin point. Like an image that was fuzzy but left many emotions. "Sometimes..it's..it's not our Mikey we see..we know it's him..but it doesn't look like him..it's brief.."

"That's a glitch in the system main frame..it should right itself soon if it it lasts too much longer let me know so when the upgrades are finished we can make sure it doesn't happen." She said as she closed one panel to open another. "So long as you still realize it's him it won't be a problem..it might make him seem older to you guys when he isn't..though talking to him as if he is an adult might calm him and yourselves during those moments."

"They won't last..and any errors will be fixed.." Freddy said more of a statement then a question.

"Of course..eventually we plan on upgrading everything..and making sure he won't ever have to leave here.." She said shutting the final panel and closing the desk up locking the computer and the tablet away. "Trust me..it will all be just golden." She added with a half smile and for a brief moment Freddy knew that smile..knew that sharp look and the faint recollection of Foxy's screech when his vocals didn't work properly came to mind before it faded.

"Golden.." Freddy repeated. "He.."

"Is still being prepared..don't worry the rest of the staff will be ready for the new grand opening." She said simply "Now go charge Freddy..I expect the baby will be awake soon..and you all need some rest."

Freddy didn't argue just turned to head for his spot on the stage letting his self slide into recharge not registering that the others were all asleep as well and that left the manager alone with Mikey.

She looked down into the crib at the sleeping figure her eyes seeming to focus and unfocus on him.

"Such a fragile thing..human life." she said reaching out only to tuck the blanket around Mikey making sure the toy Foxy was tucked in his arms. "You are so lucky Micheal..you're getting a new life..a better one..even if it isn't what you wanted..it will be better.."

If no one was awake to see her twitch again and a sound that wasn't human left her vocal cords for a moment before she started to sing a soft lullaby, and if that sounded more like a familiar sea shanty a certain red fox would sing..well no one was awake to be the wiser.