Military life

I wanna say that English isn't my first language and I'm nowhere near perfect at it, so I truly apologize for any mistakes in grammar or spelling as I still have minor problems finding the right words or synonyms.

It was quiet. Almost too quiet for Jamine. Everything was so silent all around him and nothing was moving, not even the sound of dirt and small insects getting crushed under their Sergeants heavy combat boots. Jamine couldn't even hear the bats flying around in the night.

"Perfect..." He mumbled as he stepped out of his bunk bed and slipped on his black leather boots that perfectly merged with his all black outfit. This wasn't because Black was his all time favorite color, but rather because everything around them was black during night time, so it was more of a tactical decision of his. During the time at the military and special forces, he loved developing his skills of being quiet and stealthy while chasing his adrenalin highs. Sometimes he would Jump from one tree to another, knowing that the risk was high, but Jamine still did it even if there were punishments.

As he stepped outside, the cold air was like a pleasant reward for taking yet another risk. Quickly, Jamine fled into the shadows and small spaces between houses and sheds, eying tonight's target: An open window with light shining through, quiet voices filling the night. It was the perfect thing, something he rarely did.

The next morning they were woken up by their Sergeant, who was banging against the metal doors as he slowly paced through the hallway, screaming at the soldiers to wake up. Not one of Jamine's favorite noises to hear but for now he just has to roll with it.

In the room where Jamine was staying were 5 other people, Richard, Jackson, Frederick, Otto, Michael and Eric. They exchanged words with Jamine quite the couple of times, but to mark them as friends was a bit too early. Jamine wouldn't let people come this close to him yet and it didn't matter that they were his roommates for the past year and a half.

"Good morning" they each murred in an unorganized pattern as they climbed out of bed to get themselves ready for morning drill. Jamine hadn't said a word yet, rather staying quiet and just nodding once to signalize them his good morning. The room they were in was quite boring. 3 bunk beds with 2 stories each, a table, lockers and a window. However, it was enough for them so Jamine had no reason to complain about anything other than the food they got here. It wasn't the best to say the least...

Otto once even said the food made him throw up, but Richard and Frederick heavily disagreed with that. The three of them were almost always together and knew everything about the other two. Michael was a complete stranger to all of them as he just kept telling stories that didn't make sense. Eric was actually the closest with Jamine, talking to Jamine and mocking him by saying that Glasgow is in England, even when he knew it was actually in Scotland. And Jamine kinda fell for it at times and got a little upset.

On the field, they were all standing in rows, listening to their sergeant as he gave information and instructions for the day. Morning drill was a grueling process for Jamine because he somehow was never quite awake enough to channel his energy efficiently in early morning hours.

"You know, I'm actually excited about today." Eric said, shoving a spoon full of their food into his mouth. "Yea sure... Me too." Jamine grumbled with a yawn as he took a good gulp of his black coffee. Anything that would up his performance was highly appreciated for the day. "Do you think they'll actually choose some of us? They could just come here to look and hope for the best." Johnson, who everyone just called Joe for some reason, questioned while pushing his plate away. "At this point you shouldn't even wonder why you're just skin and bones, Joe." Michael chimed in, being met with a glare from the one mentioned.

"You haven't answered my question." Joe hissed and huffed in annoyance as he took a sip of his water. "I doubt they'll just come to look at the show. Like, some of us are more than qualified for a job like that." Eric said as he nudged Jamine in the side with his elbow, only for it to be slapped away. "Shut up, will you? Just because I like keeping myself busy doesn't mean this shit is easy for me." Jamine growled at him and played with his fork a bit. "Sorry sorry, didn't know you englishmen could get angry like tha-" Eric was interrupted by a fork being pointed directly at his face by Jamine. "Shut. You know exactly I'm Scottish and not English you moron."

"I suggest you both calm the fuck down and get ready for training before we get yelled at again." Frederick grunted in disbelief and got up with his plate to put it away. Usually, the Irish guy was pretty relaxed and enthusiastic, but today Eric and Jamine may have just struck a nerve. Jamine got up as well, followed by his other roommates and did the same, going straight to their room to practice some basic self hygiene.

During their daily exercising, he noticed a few people actively monitoring them and taking small notes. That was nothing unusual, but Jamine never saw them before, so they must be the guy's from this Rainbow organization coming over. Honestly, Jamine didn't give two flying fucks about the new company, but it seemed like the opposite with a few other soldiers including Michael, Otto and Richard. Luckily Johnson and Eric were left mostly unaffected, but Jamine noticed that they were trying to up their performances a notch.

All Jamine knew was that they were going to stay for a week and select the most competent 3 of them. Whatever context they might use the word competent as was a mystery for Jamine to solve, but he wouldn't complain.

After they were sent off to have a bit of free time, these Rainbow people kind of went away, but not really since Jamine could still see them in the corner of his eye. They were taking notes again. "Earth to Brookswill, have you discovered a new multiverse or what?" oh how Michael loved mocking Jamines interest in physics he had when he was like 20. "what?" Jamine bit back, almost a bit to harshly for his liking. "We're talking about then selection that will take place in a week." Otto grinned, but they all knew that this was just to cover up his nervousness. "You should give your best as well, JJ" Eric encouraged his comrade via a pat of the shoulder. "I'm sure you want to get into a counter terrorist organization, right?" he added as Jamine gently slapped his arm away from his shoulder.

"Honestly, you're looking way too much into this. We are around 600 Soldiers stationed here and they are looking for 3 individuals. There is only a 0.5% chance that one of us will be chosen for the recruitment. Giving your best is important, I know, but to beat yourself up over a group of people does more damage to yourself than it would do good. I'm just saying. The chances are so slim and it is not their goal to catch you at your most nervous self. Just display what you would do normally, how you would behave normally. Geez." Jamine explained and then walked away to read in peace. He just had to get to the far back of the field where there was a big oak tree.

The book occupying one hand, Jamine ran up to the tree and jumped as high as he could, grabbing a hold of a good branch in a top grip. Thanks to the momentum, pushing himself up and over the branch while still gaining a little speed was easier. He let go of the branch and stepped on it with his boot, pushing himself off again to gain more speed. Finally he was able to grab the edge of the big middle trunk where he could push himself up again and look for a big branch to sit down on.

After that was done, Jamine opened the book back up and started reading. "You know, this was quite the impressive thing." a voice that Jamine couldn't recognize shouted up to him. Who was that?