The Selection

"Are you one of the guys from Rainbow?" Jamine said as he looked down to see an SAS member with a gas mask under his arm, the filter on the side. He had short, almost black hair and a beard, his clothing being a deep blue with green straps around the waist and thighs. Over his blue clothing he wore a black combat vest. None of the soldiers here wore such a gear on the regular, since that wasn't necessarily standard.

"Yes. I am just saying, if you could do such stuff over greater distances, we'd most likely consider you for recruitment." the man then answered and smiled lightly, while Jamine remained cold. "I can do that over greater distances, but I don't believe it is necessary to show it off. Skills are learned to be useful, not to brag about." Jamine finally said and put his book down on his lap. "besides, it's only day one, I wouldn't want to be considered a recruit yet because you don't know anything about my behavior or how I train." Jamine then added and jumped down out of good manners because you shouldn't be literally talking down to someone in a higher social rank than you.

"Quite the smart guy, I see." the Rainbow organization man laughed as Jamine put the small handbook in one of the many pockets of his pants, surprised it even fit in there and then also looked like it wasn't even there. "Eh? How does that make me smart?" Jamine wondered, looking at the small name badge of... Mike Baker. Huh. "It shows that you have the ability to quickly understand and act according to the situation." Mike explained to him and started walking back to the bigger group of soldiers, gesturing Jamine to follow along. "I've also noticed how you rarely get angry and mostly remain pretty reserved. That's good, especially since our last recruit wave was... A bit energy straining to say the least." the taller one admitted and grunted as Jamine just listened to him.

What should he answer for God's sake? Agree? Disagree? "Uhuh.." was eventually what Jamine settled on and wished for the day to be over. He hated interacting with others outside of his roommates and even there he sometimes had troubles. It's not like he doesn't try, but big crowds or interaction with strangers just made him tense up terribly. When he laughed around others, he'd always emotionally shut himself down after a few seconds and Jamine loved himself for that skill.

The days went by and it seemed like Michael, Otto and Richard took his words seriously and started behaving like their old selves. Jamine took that as granted because that meant he'd get more peace for himself, finally. However, today would be the ultimate selection so he couldn't be bothered by the enthusiastic behavior. Internally, Jamine knew he probably wouldn't be chosen, the odds were just too slim for it to be realistic. So now they stood there, waiting to be called, confirming that they would now be recruited. Jamine didn't even pay attention when the first two were chosen and just lightly clapped along with the other soldiers.

"Jamine Brookswill"

He tensed up immediately as he got up slowly and walked up to the other recruits, the clapping not feeling congratulating at all. If felt like all eyes were on him, squeezing him ever so slowly to death, his lungs refused to take in another breath. All Jamine could do was stare down at the floor and not let anyone notice it. Finally, he made it to the front and just stood there, waiting for the others to be dismissed.

After minutes of waiting, the room was mostly empty and left were two other soldiers, none of his roommates were selected, oh well. "you go pack up you stuff and we'll meet back here in exactly 20 minutes. Because we got those questions before: yes, you're allowed to wear casual stuff. Yes, you can say goodbye to anyone you want." a man named Maxim Basuda waved them off quickly and Jamine went back to his room, packing up what he needed.

God he was so happy to finally wear his warcore outfits again. He missed the loose, black pants with the straps dangling off of them. The wide black shirts with the vests that had many pockets, perfectly in color match with the black face mask. His shirt had a nice, big hood attached to it. Now only the brown contact lenses and black and white bracelets. After Jamine put on his black combat boots again and grabbed his bag, ready to go.

"Okay, I'm off." Jamine sighed as he waved his mates goodbye, exciting the room and making his way down the seemingly endless stretch of hallway.

Why did it seem so long of all sudden?
Was he actually sad to leave them behind?
What's happening to him and why are there tears in his eyes, threatening to overflow?
Was he sad that he left his long life here behind or was it just a wave of trauma hitting?

Quickly, he slipped around a corner and stared down at the floor, waiting for his eyes to dry back out. Jamine tried emotionally shutting down again, he was always able to do it on command, but now it wasn't working. God dammit Jamine...

After a few minutes, he finally got to emotionally drain himself again and walked back to the meeting spot, seeing that he was still 10 minutes early. "No goodbye to your friends?" Mike asked, his arms crossed in front of his chest. "I've learned not to cling onto things, so no." Jamine grunted and leaned against the wall, noticing a guy with the name Harishva Pandey write something down. Great.

As the minutes passed, Jamine got bored, and what do you do when you're bored? You do weird shit. So Jamine just shifted his position into a handstand and tried to balance himself on one arm. He really wanted to master that, so he could learn some cool tricks again. "okay, we're all set" Harishva said and Jamine tipped backwards, standing upright, grabbing his bag in the process to a swing it over his shoulder. The other new recruits seemed much more broken than Jamine did, but it was their fault. They applied and they were chosen. While being led outside, Jamine could hear the noise of a helicopter landing and partially shutting down the engine.

"Get in, come on! Don't worry about luggage, just take it with you to the seats!" the pilot shouted from inside as they took a seat in the back. "Okay, ready for take off!" Mike then shouted with a thumbs up as he shut the door, the pitch of the engines getting higher as the chopper took off. It was going to be a long flight, halfway across the UK, so it was much quicker to go by air travel.

Jamine didn't know what would await him, but it couldn't be worse than the entry in the SAS. For now, he just pulled his hood up to cover his messy, short hair and rest his head on his hands.