Chapter 26

Ryleigh had attempted to get Alder to bring Corbin to Midnight Moon, so she could question him there. The last thing she wanted was to have to go back to the Royal Wolves. The castle was bad enough, but setting foot in the prison would bring up many trauma's that she wasn't exactly looking to relive.

Alas, Alder wouldn't budge. He insisted she came down to question Corbin, because moving him was too big of a risk. Corbin was too powerful, and Alder only trusted him behind bars.

And so it was that Ryleigh once again found herself back in the Royal Prison. It had been almost three months since she had last been locked up in there – back when she was awaiting execution.

Alder accompanied her and Parker – for she had brought him with her – to the prison, as well as eight guards, which flanked both Alder and her, keeping them as far apart as they could while still walking in one group. It was ridiculous. What was she going to do? Kill Alder in broad daylight, in the middle of a prison, knowing full well that that would mean the instant execution of all her people? No. Much as she hated it, she needed Alder alive.

They trailed through the prison, passing countless cells, filled with countless desolate criminals. Ryleigh's muscles were tensed to the point of snapping. Her wolf was restless in her head, moving frantically and howling at the sight of all the other prisoners. The smell of blood, excrements, sweat, and silver hung heavy in the air, and Ryleigh's stomach turned upside down.

She felt Parker's gaze on her and looked up at him. He slightly raised his brows at her – a silent Are you alright? She was glad he didn't ask the words out loud, or through mind-link. She didn't want to draw attention to the fact that she was very clearly not alright. It was plain to see, at least to someone who knew her as well as he did. To strangers, she looked calm and collected, her back straight and her chin tipped up, walking onwards without hesitation. But Parker knew where to look for signs, and so he saw the nervous flitting of her gaze, the slight trembling of her hand, the stirring of her wolf.

She nodded at him, curtly, and he understood enough. Austin would have asked her if she was holding up alright, and he would have placed a hand on her lower back, soothing her with the comfort of his touch. He would have wanted to take her burden from her. Parker didn't, because he understood that Ryleigh would never let him. He understood that she needed to face this on her own, and he let her, though at the same time making sure that she never forget for a single second that he was right beside her.

They kept Corbin in the same space of cells that they had kept Ryleigh, though not in the same cell. She stepped into the room and found Corbin's cell with ease.

She couldn't see him yet from the door, and she hesitated. Alder had entered first, followed by most of the guards. Parker halted right behind her, and so did the last of the guards. The smell of this room, the lack of light, the general sense of hopelessness that pervaded it, it all brought back memories that Ryleigh didn't care for.

She especially remembered her conversation with Jade, the night before she was scheduled to die. She remembered how much it had hurt to see her sister on the other side of those bars, dressed in those fancy clothes. Jade had sentenced her to that fate. She had chosen Aaron over her. And see where it had gotten her – abducted by Cerise. Ryleigh would think Jade had gotten exactly what she deserved, weren't it that she was unable to wish Jade ill.

She pushed on, crossing the room straight to Corbin's cell. She paused in front of it, dragging her spine up straighter. "Father."

Corbin was sitting on the narrow bed mounted against the back wall. He sat with his back straight, his feet on the ground, facing her. He was dirty and smelled worse than he looked, and he was smaller than Ryleigh remembered – poor nutrition would do that to you. His spirit had not been broken, however. There was a fire in his eyes that burned brighter than the torch one of the guards was carrying.