Chapter 29

The expressions of victory stilled on their faces.

"No way," Sky said. "I'm not talking to Conall."

"O, I see," Ryleigh said. "Pardon me. I was under the impression that you weren't a coward, but I see that I was mistaken."

"I'm not a coward," Sky said, laying emphasis on each word. She pursed her lips, realising what corner she was talking herself into. "Talking to Conall wouldn't be brave, it'd be stupid. I wouldn't even know what to say."

"How about, 'You're an idiot, but you're my idiot, and I'm tired of pretending otherwise, so just kiss me already'?" Ryleigh said.

"Honestly, this sounds like an awful idea," Sky said. "Tell her, Jules. Tell her this is a crazy idea."

Julie dragged a finger over the rim of her glass. "I'll do it." She looked up. "But only if you and Sky do it too. Otherwise I won't. And no back-tracking. If you let us confess our feelings to our guys, and you flake out at the last minute, then Alder is the least of your worries. Got it?"

Ryleigh was silent a moment. She hadn't though Julie would actually rise to the occasion. It had been a joke more than anything. She had no desire whatsoever to talk to Parker and pour out her heart. She didn't pour. Darn it, Julie was right. She hid behind humour and lies.

"Got it," she said. "Sky? Don't tell me you're too chicken. Even Julie is up for it."

Sky put down her glass and rose too fast, swaying a little on her feet. "Fine, but Julie's going first." She stomped over to Julie and held out a hand, pulling her to her feet.

"Fine," Julie said, puffing out her chest and holding her chin high. "But then the both of you have to promise me you'll go through with it."

"Swear on the Goddess," Ryleigh said, putting a hand over her heart.

"My word's good and you know it," Sky said.

"Alright. Let's go." She marched to the door, ripping it open without a second's hesitation. Ryleigh hadn't thought that Julie would be so confident about it, though she figured that it was probably an act – faking determination so that she didn't get a chance to second-guess herself.

"What time is it?" she asked over her shoulder.

"One in the morning, or thereabouts," Sky said. "Slow down, would you? The world's spinning."

"He's probably still working," Julie said. "Let's go to his office." She headed for the stairs, and wanted to go down it with the same speed with which she'd sped down the hall, but she nearly toppled down, so she slowed and held on to the railing for dear life.

It occurred to Ryleigh that this could all end very terribly, but she was too intrigued to allow doubt to exist.

They trailed down the stairs, a bit unsteady on their feet. Julie navigated to Ellis' office, and then for the first time since she left her room, she hesitated. Her fisted hand was raised to the door already, ready to knock, but she didn't, staring at the wood as though she could stare through it.

Without a word, Sky stepped forward and knocked for her, quirking her brows in challenge. "Now or never," she said. She gripped Ryleigh's wrist and dragged her away, a bit down the hallway so that they could give them a little privacy while still maintaining their front-row seat.

The door creaked open and Ellis appeared in the doorway. "Julie? What are you doing here this late?" He ran a hand through his hair. It was funny how this strong alpha was reduced to a puddle of nerves every time Julie came near him.

"You really hurt me when you betrayed me," Julie said, her voice stern, though thick and a bit unclear.

He cocked his head. "I know. Are—are you drunk?"