Chapter 39

"No!" Ryleigh screamed, her arms flying out to steady Austin as he stumbled backwards.

The woman was fully visible then, and without hesitation and without mercy, Conall jumped on top of her and ripped out her throat. Ryleigh didn't even blame him for killing one of her people. Not now.

Austin's legs gave out and Ryleigh guided him towards the floor. Once there, she removed her hands from around him and pressed them against the wound instead. Austin opened his mouth to speak, but only air came out.

"Hold still," Ryleigh said. The knife was still wedged into his flesh, now clearly visible. The woman had hit him on the right side of his chest, just underneath his shoulder. Blood streamed from under Ryleigh's hands and she knew he was slipping away.

"You are not dying today," Conall said. He'd shifted back and was crouching beside Austin. Austin forced his lips up into something resembling a smile, but he hardly managed. His breath came in fits and starts, more blood pulsing from the wound at every beat of his heart.

"Paige!" she yelled through mind-link, knowing her volume was going to give the woman a heart-attack.

"Bit busy not getting killed, Ry," she linked back. "Nearly startled me to death. Where do you need me?"

"Second floor. I'm not sure where we are. West-wing, I think. Please hurry. Austin's dying."

Paige didn't respond, and Ryleigh knew that was because she was hurrying already and didn't want to waste any time saying needless words.

"Paige is coming," she said, nodding at Austin as though she had complete trust that he was going to pull through.

"Let me take over," Conall said, swatting her hands away. She did as he said, too shocked by the situation to even think of refusing. He pressed his hands around the wound, and Ryleigh saw no humour in his gaze. No taunts, no amusement, nothing but serious concern. If Conall had nothing clever to say, things were bad.

"You have to go on," Conall said, looking up at Ryleigh. "Cerise is somewhere in here, and you need to find her."

"I'm not leaving him," Ryleigh said.

"You said Paige is on her way. She is the only one who can help him now. There's nothing left for you to do. I'm going stay with him, and you're going to find Cerise, and you are going to kill her."

She shook her head, tears clouding her vision. Her hand found Austin's and she laced her fingers through his. He gave her a weak squeeze, his eyes already falling shut. She knew what he meant with that squeeze. He meant for her to leave his side, to save the day. But she didn't want to save the day. She just wanted to save him.

His hand fell away from her grasp. Her chest cramped, her lungs forgot how to draw in air.

"Paige, hurry!"

"I'm almost there."

"Go, Ry," Conall said, nodding at her. "Kill that bitch. Do it for him. For all of us." There were tears in his eyes, too.

Ryleigh swallowed and pushed to her feet. She didn't say another word, definitely didn't look back. If she saw Austin lying in a puddle of his own blood, she wouldn't leave. She wiped her hands on her trousers, leaving big, red stains, and made for the staircase. I'm coming for you, Cerise.

Paige was going to save Austin. Of course she was. Paige never failed. Ryleigh was going to kill Cerise, and when she got back, Austin would be fine. They would joke about this. They would joke about that one time death had come from out of nowhere, and they had beat it still.