Eccedentesiast

Hyacinth slipped into the garden through the backdoor accessed through the kitchens. No one ever really went into the kitchens other than the house elves, so with it being late at night and well past dinner time, the kitchens were deserted entirely, the elves having cleaned the surfaces to the point of being able to see one's reflection before they retired to bed. 

Which is where Hyacinth should've been. However, she found she was too restless to sleep. It was 10 pm on the 29th of December 1994. She had two hours before they would perform the ritual to bring her father home. 

Hyacinth pulled her winter coat tighter around her body as a bone-deep chill ran through her. It hadn't snowed that winter, but it was still freezing, almost frostbite cold, leaving the gardens with a fine layer of frost everywhere. The flowers were under a preservation charm so that they were in bloom all year long, she had learnt from Draco a few days prior.

Hyacinth slowly walked the gardens, indulging in the sound of the crunch of the grass under her winter boots and the chilly wind biting her cheeks. Soon she found herself at the very edge of the gardens that broke into a dense forest of evergreen trees. She stopped and looked up, following the trunks of the tall trees, past the frostbitten leaves and up to the star-filled sky.

 She stopped and looked up, following the trunks of the tall trees, past the frostbitten leaves and up to the star-filled sky

She stood there for a while trying to find and identify constellations, falling short of recognising or naming any. She was never good at astrology; she could only stay awake for a short time to learn anything significant. She sighed and looked back into the trees, the dark, impending and mysterious.

Hyacinth wondered what it would be like to be a bird at that moment. She pictured herself leaping off the frosty floors, falcon-winged, to soar over the wooded hills, following the stars until they bled into the morning. 

She started at a voice behind her, deep yet comforting.

"What brings you out here at this time of night?" She turned to face Lucius, a slight, almost guilty smile on her face.

"I couldn't sleep. You?" she asked, watching as he came to stand beside her, his much taller height almost dwarfing her, yet she felt safe.

"Much the same it would seem", he replied, looking up at the inky blue-black sky dotted with its 200 billion trillion stars. It was odd, she thought, how something dead could be so bright and beautiful.

She blushed suddenly, remembering she was only in a thick coat and her nightdress, and she started stuttering out an excuse to leave before he turned to her, a knowing but kind smile on his handsome face.

"Would you like some hot chocolate?" he asked, and she nodded, a shy smile on her reddened face. She only hoped he would think it was the cold that had reddened her cheeks.