Lypophrenia

Hyacinth woke up a month later. Lucius had been the only one in the room when she woke up, her eyes so sensitive to the light tears streamed down her face. At first, the tears were only because of the light sensitivity, but then they became actual crying at the pain she was in, which then turned into a full-blown panic attack because she didn't understand what was happening. Lucius sent a rushed patronus to Healer Sage Dempsey before he gently pulled Hyacinth into his arms, slowly sliding into the bed underneath her so that her back was pressed against his chest as he wrapped his arms around her, slowly rocking her from side to side. 

"When Draco was little," he began talking, voice low and rumbly, the effects vibrating against her back, "he had nightmares; he would wake up every night with panic attacks. It was a lot for his little five-year-old body. This was the only thing that could calm him down so I do hope you don't mind" he finished, noticing her breathing beginning to level out. 

She tried to speak but choked, only now noticing the tube down her throat. She sobbed, a heaving, gut-wrenching sob, slowly turning her sore body so that she could bury her face in Lucius' broad shoulder as she cried, the memories of what should have been a happy, fantastic night, rushing back to her, tainted by how it ended. 

Madame Sage Dempsey arrived promptly, the same two medi-witches from before soon following her and Lucius gently coaxed Hyacinth into sitting up. He carefully slid out from under her and onto the edge of the bed. He attempted to stand up to leave the room but was stopped by a hand catching his own. Hyacinth's pleading eyes told him all he needed to know, so he remained seated on the edge of the bed, warm hand gripping tightly onto Hyacinth's cold, clammy one. 

"Hyacinth, I am so sorry, darling; this is going to be uncomfortable as all hell, but I need you to bare with me while I take the tube out. I need you to relax for me as much as possible. Can you do that for me?" The healer asked, and Hyacinth nodded hesitantly, her grip on Lucius' hand becoming tighter. Sage coaxed the teen to lean back slightly and slowly began to remove the tube. 

Hyacinth screwed her eyes shut, tears leaking out of the sides of her eyes, and she gagged as the tube was finally removed, heaving and spluttering all while she sobbed heavily, coughing uncontrollably as she shivered from cold due to the shock. 

Lucius wrapped an arm around her, pulling her into his side and rubbing her arm over the fabric of her fleece sleepshirt, trying to get her warm. The medi-witches busied themselves with removing the I.V as Sage wiped at Hyacinth's spit-slicked lips with a cloth and wiped at her tears with warm hands.

After a while, Hyacinth slowly pulled back from Lucius' side and flopped back against her pillows, body exhausted. She wanted to go back to sleep despite being bed-bound for a month. She tried to speak, but nothing came out; her throat parched and rendered silent from misuse. Lucius handed her a glass of water. 

She slowly sipped at it, the cold water soothing her sore throat and tried to speak again.

"Why does my body hurt so much?" she asked, her voice still rough from not using it for a month. It was something she figured would go away with time. Sage sighed and sat on the opposite edge of the bed. 

"Your soreness is partially due to being bed-bound for so long but also partially due to the attack you suffered. The spell you were attacked with was a modified Diffindo; this one cuts far deeper and does more damage, I'm afraid. You are lucky to be alive right now." the healer explained, nodding her thanks to the two medi-witches who nodded back to her and apparated out of the room. 

Hyacinth braced herself. "Lay it on me, doc", she joked, trying to lighten the serious mood in the room and failing, "what damage was done?" 

Sage sighed, making eye contact with Lucius. He knew what the healer was going to say; he had heard it weeks before. Still, he wasn't sure he was prepared for Hyacinth to hear it.

"Well. The spell cut the lining of your stomach rather severely; thankfully, the damage wasn't so extensive that it did irreversible damage; I will advise you to eat smaller meals in the meantime while your stomach heals. The spell also cut into one of your kidneys. Unfortunately, we could not salvage that, but you shouldn't have any nasty side effects of only having one kidney." The healer tried to joke. Her smile faded as she moved on to the next piece of medical information.

"The spell bypassed your intestines completely, only narrowly missing them. Unfortunately, by bypassing your intestines, the spell went directly into your womb. My darling," she trailed off, grasping onto Hyacinth's free hand, the one not occupied by Lucius' own, "there is no easy way to say this, but there is no possible chance of you having any children in the future. The spell did too much irreversible damage to your womb. There are chances, slim as they may be, that you will fall pregnant, but it is my job to make sure you understand that there will be no chance of those pregnancies being brought to term" she finished, grip tight on Hyacinth's hand. 

If Hyacinth's voice box had permitted it, she would've screamed there and then. Instead, she settled for a silent scream, her face contorting with pain and grief, and Lucius choked back tears as she threw her body forward, burying her face into the bed's comforter, which wasn't bringing anyone in that room any comfort. 

Heavy sobs wracked her body as she grieved something she wanted so badly but now would never have. Sage knew how much this would wreck the girl. Many of their sessions featured Hyacinth's want to become a mother. Many sessions focused on building her up and instilling confidence in her that she would be a wonderful mother. 

Sage stifled a sob behind her hand. She had been the one to tell Hyacinth that she would one day make a beautiful family, and now she had to be the one to rip that away from her. And she cursed whatever Gods had bestowed this burdensome fate upon the young girl who sat sobbing into her blankets, grieving a life that could've been but will now never come to fruition. 

----------

A/N Some of you in the comments guessed where this was going, and I think I made it too obvious. I apologise to @JJ_Briggs I hope you can forgive me.