Chapter 18- Against the Odds

"You find anything else while you were in there?" Chaewon asks as they run looking for their friends. It wasn't rocket science, but the trail of unconscious guards and broken doors was probably a good path for them to follow.

"The corruption goes way more up the ladder than we initially thought. Everything we knew was a lie. I was originally sent here to steal data for HKT, yet that info ended up circling back to the Korean Syndicate anyway. They even let us capture their labs in Myeong-dong and Busan to let our guard down. We were being used as tools the whole time." She replies frustratedly.

"Well, we can go after them next when this is over, but right now, all we can do is focus on the current mission." Chaeyeon says.

Eventually, after fighting through a few sets of guards of their own, the group reaches the labs and were now at a crossroads. On the right was a stairwell that led down to the area where the clones were being held while on the left was an open door that led deeper into the labs.

"Which way do we go?" Chaeryeong asks.

"The cameras say that Yujin and the others met up with Eunbi-unnie's group here and they moved left, but my intel tells me that your friends are in the pods somewhere down the right stairwell." Sakura replies. This sudden information leaves Chaeryeong torn. Of course, she wanted to help Chaeyeon's friends, but her team needed her right now too.

"We can split up again if you want. There are multiple stairways up that can lead you back to us." Sakura offers after sensing the younger girl's indecisiveness. She knew it wouldn't be the best option, but she wanted to at least let Chaeryeong make the decision herself.

"I think I'm going to have to take you up on that offer, unnie, but I need to go in alone." She eventually says leaving her older sister surprised.

"Wait, there's no way I'm letting you out of my sight again after everything that's happened." Chaeyeon interjects.

"Unnie, your team needs you and my team needs me. You're gonna have to trust me on this. The best you can do is distract them all for me to sneak in."

"Alright...but if you get hurt, I swear." Chaeyeon sighs and relents.

~~~~

"This must be it." Eunbi says when they break through another heavily guarded door to reveal a lab that was twice as large as the others. Everything in it seemed brand new from the computers and monitors to the laboratory tools on the table. If they were running any special experiments, this would be the place.

"If this is it, then why is there no one in here?" Hitomi wonders. The group warily makes their way through the room and examines it.

"Hmm...from what I can feel, it doesn't seem like these CPUs are connected to any of the other ones we've ran into. The frequency they're giving off is different." Yena says.

"Then let's put this virus into it and see what happens." Yujin replies, taking out the USB Sakura had given her. Before she could though, Nako calls the group's attention to the observation deck.

"Uh, girls, you might want to come and look at this." She says. What they see below them were a set of pods similar to the ones they'd seen earlier, but with a glaring difference. The ones in the earlier room were filled with a red liquid while the ones below here were filled with blue liquid.

"Is that...Hyewon-unnie?" Yuri asks, pointing to one of the pods on the right. Eunbi's eyes widen at this as she leans closer to the windows to get a better look. It was definitely her. Next to her were several other familiar faces like Gaeun, Yunjin and...ITZY.

"Wait, why are they in pods. Didn't we just fight them?" Wonyoung says.

"You fought who?" Yena replies, not remembering this information being shared earlier.