Chapter 13

When Carlos woke up, the first thing that reached him was the sound of voices around him, though he took a while to recognize and understand what they were saying. His head ached and he lay there for a moment with his eyes closed, feeling his own body. He wanted to move, to let the voices around him know that he was waking up, that he needed help to wake up.

But his arms and legs hurt too, though not as much as his head.

He cleared his throat, maybe he could try to speak or make some noise, but his throat felt dry and he only managed to cough.

"He's waking up," he heard an extremely familiar voice say, a voice that made him feel better.

"I'm going to get the doctor," added yet another voice and he heard the sound of a door.

He needed to remember what happened because he felt he was in the middle of a cloud of memories, but none of them really came to him. He felt like he had spent a long time unconscious, but it could have been several hours or several days; the feeling was the same.

He remembered being at home, everything was normal, everything was quiet. He was with his family, they had watched a movie before dinner. Then he had prepared dinner for the twins and Tomi. The girls always ate dinner earlier because they had to go to bed early, it was a school day. Tomi, at eleven years old, was already eating dinner with them.

It was such a nice feeling to have the two girls cuddled up to him. He turned to TK, who had Tomi sitting on his lap. The two shared a look and smiled. They both knew there wasn't much time left before their children were no longer children and no longer wanted to be cuddled like that with them and sitting on top of him. They had to enjoy the time they had left.

Suddenly he felt his body shaking and an electric shock made him almost scream...or maybe he screamed but no one heard him. His body hurt so much and he felt like he was falling, he wasn't flying and he was being pulled down again without stopping.

He felt like throwing up... Had he thrown up? He felt as if he had, his chest was burning and his head was spinning.

"Carlos, Carlos. Can you hear me?" a new voice said...only this time it didn't sound familiar.

"Hmmm," Carlos murmured and somehow felt like he was able to move his head and hands.

"Carlos, mijo." His mother, it was his mother's voice on one side, and he felt someone else's hand on the other side.

His father, most likely.

"TK..." he managed to say, though he had trouble recognizing his own voice.

"Carlos, I need you to open your eyes," one of the voices said. "This is Dr. Smith, can you open your eyes?"

"It hurts... I can't."

"What hurts?" said the same voice.

"Everything...my head...I feel like it's going to explode."

"I'm going to ask them to up your painkiller dosage a little. It will help. Do you remember what happened, where you are or why?"

"I was at home... Mom, where's TK?"

Silence followed, no one answered him and that forced him to open his eyes and search for the answer he so desperately needed.

The light burned in his eyes and in his head, but after making an almost titanic effort, he managed to focus his eyes on three figures. His parents, one on each side of the bed and his mother caressing his cheek. The third figure, although he didn't know who it was, was wearing a white coat, he must have been the doctor who had been talking to him.

I always find youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें