'86, Baby

Eddie stood in front of the mirrorr. He'd grown fond of this little space where his unlikely friends lovingly curated his favorite things. It's been a couple months and he still hadn't found the right way to tell them Thank You.

Dustin pounded at the door, pulling Eddie out of the moment. "Oh my god, it's like having a sister! Lissa is upstairs, are you ready yet?!"

"Jesus Christ, Henderson, calm down. I'm almost done." The door opened, "I said I'm-" Eddie froze when he turned to see Lissa in the doorway. They've had months to grow close, yet he still gets weak every time she's near.

"Need some help, handsome?" Lissa walked in and closed the door behind her. He looked away from her, trying to hide his suddenly pinkish cheeks. She stood behind Eddie and wrapped her arms around his waist. Peeking around his shoulder, Lissa looked fondly at Eddie through the reflection in the mirror.

He rested his hands on her arms and took a deep breath. The green and gold of their matching robes shimmered even in the soft light. His head felt light for a moment, caught up in the whirlwind that was this year.

Lissa noticed the sudden gloss in his large brown eyes. "Hey," she squeezed lightly, "You okay?"

"I just - it feels weird. Two years trying to get here and then I almost didn't - I almost died - I did die- I-" his breathing quickened, he stopped speaking.

Lissa squeezed harder, resting her face on his shoulder blade. "Close your eyes." He did. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5," Eddie focused on the sound of her voice, the pressure of her body. "6, 7, 8, 9,10." His breathing had slowed. "Good?"

"Good." He took another deep breath. "I survived. Vecna, school, you." He grinned at her in the mirror. "I guess this really is my year."

Lissa released him and brushed some loose curls from his face. "That shampoo Steve got you is amazing."

Eddie rolled his eyes, slightly embarrassed. "Yeah, guys sharing hair tips is real cool."

"You're going to be singing a different tune when you're back on stage and have all the ladies swooning."

He looked down at Lissa, "I didn't seem to have a problem before." He winked.

She slapped his shoulder playfully. "C'mon, let's go."

He kissed Lissa quickly and grabbed his graduation cap, then followed her upstairs.

Eddie and Lissa walked into the living room where Mrs. Henderson impatiently waited with a polaroid camera. "You two look lovely!" Let me get some pictures of you.

Wayne hugged Eddie briefly, trying to avoid Mrs. Henderson's camera. "I'm proud of you, son."

"Stay there, Wayne." She gave him a stern look when he protested. "You're going to be glad you had these." After several moments of Mrs. Henderson posing the kids and Wayne, a car horn outside was the break away they needed.

"We'll meet you there." Wayne called out, watching Eddie and Lissa rush out the front door.

"Jesus, Munson, were you taking all day with your hair?" Steve leaned against a limousine.

"Does it look like he spent any time on his hair?" Max scoffed. Eddie tussled her hair.

Lucas, Mike, El, Will, Dustin, and Max all got on their bikes as Eddie, Lissa, Nancy, Steve, and Jonathan piled into the limo, ready to follow the car to the high school.

***

Eddie stood in the parking lot, overlooking the bustling football field, filled with a small stage and chairs.

Steve stood next to Eddie. "How ya holdin' up, man?"

Eddie looked back to see Nancy giggling with Jonathan, "Better than you." He chuckled.

Steve ran a hand through his hair. "Eh, it's cool. I'll always love her, but we wanted different things."

Eddie rocked on his heels. "I can't believe Robin talked you into coming to this thing."

"Yeah, seriously. Not only do I have to sit through your graduation in a tux, but I get to go to prom and listen to Robin cry about Vickie all night."

"You're a good dude, Harrington." Eddie slapped his shoulder. "I'm glad we're friends.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get emotional on me, Munson."

Robin stood between Steve and Eddie, adjusting her cap. "I swear, when I throw this thing, it's going to come back down and gouge my eye out." She sighed, looking at all of the students in their formal wear and robes. "Only Hawkins would have a dual graduation and prom because the school just got rebuilt after a near-apocalyptic monster attack."

***

Lissa gripped her diploma, anxiously watching each student take the stage. Robin grabbed her hand, squeezing and grinning as the M's began.

"And to all of our surprise," Principal Higgins said into the microphone, "Edward Munson."

Eddie's heart pounded so fast he thought it was propelling him across the stage. He snatched the diploma, looked into Higgins' old, dark eyes and put up his middle fingers.

His friends roared with cheers and laughter.

Eddie ran off the stage, ignoring the instructions to go back to his seat. He ran to Lissa and gave her a quick kiss, then held up his diploma, taking in each of his friends in their seats and the stands. He caught Wayne in the crowd, shaking his head, but smiling proudly.

***

Sunset had fallen on Hawkins. Senior prom was underway. The group sat at a table, watching their peers dance.

Nancy looked around the table at her friends. "I'm gonna miss this place." She rested her head on Jonathan's shoulder.

Eddie scoffed, tying up his hair, "I've been here way too long to miss it."

Steve leaned against the back of his chair, a leg over his knee. " Yeah, you say that now."

Lissa took a sip of punch. "This is the last night we're all going to be together for a while, isn't it?" Silence fell over the group for a moment. Memories of the last few months sparking between them. Huddling for warmth around bonfires at Steve's, drinking beer and dreaming of the future; sharing blankets and shoulders during movie marathons in the Hendersons, Steve and Robin always fighting over the leading actresses; Eddie trying to teach the group Dungeons and Dragons, but only Nancy can remember all the rules and yells at everyone for not paying attention.

They all smiled fondly at each other. Then Nancy stood up, "So what are we doing just sitting around?" She grabbed Jonathan and Robin, forcing them to stand. And like a chain reaction, Robin grabbed Steve who grabbed Eddie who grabbed Lissa and spent the rest of the night dancing.