iv|the freak.

»Little May, Boardwalks.«
0:00 ─〇───── 4:27
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

"𝒞𝒶𝓊𝓈𝑒 𝓌𝑒 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒻𝓇𝒶𝒾𝒹 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒽𝑜 𝓌𝑒 𝒶𝓇𝑒𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝑒 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒷𝑒𝒸𝑜𝓂𝑒𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓌𝑒 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒻𝓇𝒶𝒾𝒹 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒𝒲𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝓇𝑜𝒶𝒹 𝒽𝒶𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒷𝑒𝑔𝓊𝓃"

≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡

I twist the dial of the locker, inputting the code until it opens. I'm still figuring out how these lockers work. I swear they're haunted because I can do the same combination repeatedly, and it'll only open half the time. I shove my textbooks into the locker, freeing my hands of the weight before lunch. Unfortunately for me, Robin skipped school today, and Jonathan didn't show up for obvious reasons. So I'm on my own for the day. 

"Hey, Y/N," a chipper voice says to my left. I crane my head to see Nancy.

"Oh. Hi Nancy," I reply awkwardly.

"I know we haven't talked much, but I was wondering if you'd like to sit with us at lunch?" she asks, gesturing behind her. I gaze down the hall and see her jerk boyfriend and his friends laughing amongst themselves and a redhead girl standing next to them, clearly miserable at their presence.

"Is this a prank?" I deadpan, assuming Steve and his friends have put her up to it.

She shakes her head. "No, definitely not," Nancy says quickly. "I just..." she sighs, leaning in closer and lowering her voice. "you seem cool, even if we haven't talked much I can tell. And honestly, Barb and I feel a little outnumbered by Steve and his friends Dumb and Dumber over there," we both laugh a little bit, watching Tommy and Carol argue with each other.

"They do seem exhausting," I admit, giving in. She giggles quietly. Nancy seems to mean well enough. I mean, what's the harm in sitting with them? It beats sitting alone I suppose.

Nancy squeals, grabbing my wrist and tugging me toward the group.

"What's she doing?" Steve points at me. 

"Sitting with us," Nancy says nonchalantly. 

Everyone besides Nancy and Barb seems reluctant but doesn't put up much resistance. 

"Whatever, Princess," Tommy sighs, earning a hard glare from Steve. 

I roll my eyes in a not-so-discreet way. The redheaded girl laughs from my right. I look at her and smile. She notices and returns the favor. I point to the book she's holding. "What are you reading?"

"Jane Eyre," she tells me as we walk into the cafeteria.

"Oh my God, I love that book!" I exclaim as we follow the group to our table.