xx|steve f*cking harrington.

» home, Daughter. «
0:00─〇───── 3:52
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

"𝑜𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶 𝒻𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹, 𝓃𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔

"𝑜𝒽 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶 𝒻𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓃𝒹, 𝓃𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝓇𝑒 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔."

≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡

Jonathan slams his hand repeatedly on the red OPEN button, somehow convinced that something will happen if he keeps pushing it. He and Dustin argue back and forth in a heated debate on why the gate is not working. The usual buzz in the air is silent, telling me the power is out here. I inform them of this, but they continue to try to pry the metal gate open. 

I prop my elbows on my bent knees, hanging my head between them in shame. 

I wish I were stronger. 

My friends need my help, and I can't do anything. If I hadn't expelled all my energy at the junkyard, I could open the gate. We could save Will and Mike if only I was good enough. 

Nancy sits next to me, the impact of her body on the ground sending dust and dirt flurrying around us. "Hey, you okay?" 

"I'm alright." I lie. I dare to sneak a glance at Steve, something I immediately regret. 

He's stood next to Max and Lucas a few feet from the gate. While Max and Lucas talk, Steve rests his hands on his hips, indenting his baggy, roughed jeans. His jacket has pulled back just enough to expose his heaving, broad chest. 

Nancy follows my stare. "I know that look," she tells me. "he's thinking." 

"Is he even capable of that?" I joke. 

Nancy smiles warmly. "You'd be surprised." 

The loving look she gives me makes me sick to my stomach. I suddenly remember Halloween night, and my skin crawls. I betrayed one of my best friends

I nibble on my nails nervously. 

Does Nancy still love Steve? It's apparent he still loves her, and she knows it. 

The gate creeks open slowly. Nancy instantly rises to her feet, beckoning for Jonathan to follow her. Steve's face contorts to a noticeable scowl. 

"Where are you going?" I whisper, grabbing Nancy's leg. She looks down at me. 

"We're going to find the boys. We'll be right back." she reassures me.  

I try to stop her from leaving, but my muscles burn at the slightest movement. Nancy and Jonathan take Jonathan's car up the road, disappearing past a bend in the road obscured by trees. 

Steve takes Nancy's place at my side next to the booth. He stands, playing with his lighter in his hands. An awkward tension hangs in the air, and I secretly wish he'd go away.