xvii|the pollywog.

»She's so Mean, by Matchbox Twenty«
0:00 ─〇───── 3:52
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

»She's so Mean, by Matchbox Twenty«0:00 ─〇───── 3:52⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

"𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒽𝑒𝓇, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓈𝒽𝑒𝓈 𝓈𝑜 𝓂𝑒𝒶𝓃."

≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡

I bury myself in a book to escape this shitty reality. This life is a nightmare, I want to pretend I have a different one for a while. Dustin came home very late from school and has been locked up in his room. I don't think much of it and stay curled up in bed with the comforter over my head and a flashlight in hand. I rest the book on my lap and imagine myself in the main character's shoes. 

"Y/N!" Dustin screams from my open doorway. 

Startled, I shout and toss the blanket off of myself. "DUSTIN. WHAT?!" 

"I need to show you something," he says calmly, motioning for me to follow him. I roll my eyes. This boy is going to give me a stroke before I'm twenty. I reluctantly crawl out of bed and follow him to his bedroom. He looms over his turtle's tank, but his turtle is wandering around on the carpet. 

I peek into the tank to see what my brother is looking at. A slug-like creature that makes ungodly sounds and smells like a sewer. "What is that thing? Why is it so ugly?" 

"Don't call D'Artagnan ugly!" Dustin scolds. 

I raise my brow at him. "You named it?" I ask, leaning against the tank a bit. 

"Yeah. Dart, for short," 

Dart screeches up at us. "Ew," I complain. "What are you going to do with it?" 

"Raise it, turn it into NASA, I'm not sure yet," Dustin says. "this is the scientific discovery of the century. I'm going to be famous!" 

"From a fat slug?" 

"An interdimensional fat slug," Dustin corrects. "we think it came from the Upside Down," 

"You... what?" I utter. "Dustin, you have to kill it if it came from there," 

"No! He's not hurting anyone!" 

"Not right now, but you don't know for sure that it won't," 

"Dart is my friend. He's harmless," Dustin persists. 

I sigh deeply. "Dustin, you haven't seen what's in that place. Not a damn good thing comes out of it. We have to kill it," 

"No!" Dustin says, storming out of the room. 

I follow behind him, continuing my lecture. "The Upside Down is a dark dimension, you can't keep things from it in our world," 

"You don't know everything!" Dustin argues from the living room.