A Chat With Mom

Mal stood in the hall near the room she thought Maleficent was in; she was very scared to approach her mother when she's in a mood, but she has never seen tears in Maleficent's eyes before. Something must've been very wrong. After a long moment of silence, she finally gathered up her courage and gently knocked on the door.

"Go away!" Maleficent's voice said on the other side.

"Mom, it's Mal. Can I come in?" Mal asked.

"...Just you." The dark fairy answered after a moment.

Taking a deep breath, Mal opened the door and went inside. The room was completely dark and silent, but she could just barely see the silhouette of her mother sitting on the edge of the canopy bed with her back turned to the door. She slowly and nervously walked over to Maleficent, unsure of what was going to happen if she got too close. But even in the dim light, she could just make out a sorrowful look on the dark fairy's face.

"Mom? Are... are you okay?" Mal nervously asked.

"Do I look okay?!" Maleficent shrieked at her daughter; her eyes glowed green again.

The purple-haired girl jumped back at her tone. Maleficent sighed as she turned to face her daughter again; Mal reluctantly sat beside her.

"Ugh, stupid mouth. Sorry, dear. I didn't mean to leave like that. I'm just... going through some things."

"Is it because of what Forte said to you?"

"...A little."

"Well, don't worry. Ben and I will take care of Forte and Fritz as soon as dinner's over and they'll never bother you or dad again."

"Mal... you really don't have to do that." The dark fairy sighed and put her hands over her face.

"Yes I do." Mal scooted a little closer to her mother. "Like you said, Forte was just trying to get under your skin. It's what he does, isn't it?"

"Yes, but... I'm not upset because what Forte said was mean... I'm upset because it's true!"

Mal's eyes widened. "What? What's true?"

Maleficent sighed again and turned her head to face her daughter; tears were stinging her eyes and threatening to fall.

"You don't know what Forte said to me, do you?" She asked.

Mal shook her head.

"He just told me that even after everything that happened between me and your father... I still go to him and try to defend him." Maleficent explained. "Forte called him a selfish, unprincipled liar who doesn't deserve my trust... and perhaps he doesn't."

"Why would Forte say that?" Mal asked.

Maleficent paused. "...Have I ever told you about the Blood Moon Ball?"

"No, I don't think so. In fact, I don't think you've ever told me anything about before I was born."

"I figured. I never told you, but I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday. You see, the Blood Moon Ball was something really big that happened the first year us villains were banished to the Isle of the Lost. There was an incredibly rare Total Lunar Eclipse coming up that year and everyone on the Isle decided to throw a big party in its honor."

"A Lunar Eclipse?"

"A Total Lunar Eclipse, dear; everyone just called it the Blood Moon because of the blood red glow the moon gave off. This eclipse was so rare that it only happens once every fifty-five years, but that's beside the point. Your father and I were just friends at the time and I was very excited about the Ball. Everyone on the Isle was invited but for some reason, Hades didn't want to go. Normally, he loved parties and I thought that he and I could go to the Ball together and have a good time, but he said the Ball wouldn't be his style or speed, whatever that meant and that he'd rather stay home."