Chapter 1

"Thanks, Evelina," Mahogany said and grabbed the to-go cups and bag holding two pieces of coffee cake.

"My pleasure. Are we still on for tonight?" The lovely blond tossed her golden hair over her shoulder as she spoke.

"You bet. I'll see you at seven." Mahogany headed for the Hot Brews' door, thinking how her usually vibrant fuchsia-colored curls needed a revamping. They had faded to a color akin to puce, reminding Mahogany less of hot pink flowers and more of antacid. Perhaps she could fit in a quick salon visit. Demetri at Gothmother Salon would work his magic, literally, restoring Mahogany's kinky hair to its full glory.

As Mahogany's fingers grazed the cafe door, a young police officer pulled it open. "Thank you," she said and tipped her head in greeting.

"No problem, Spider-Girl," the officer said and forced a smile but kept the door between himself and the dark-skinned woman with a penchant for arachnids. On her shoulder, Bazgul, her demon familiar in the form of a giant tarantula, chittered and nodded his fuzzy head.

The officer stifled a shiver before bounding into the safety of the building.

Mahogany giggled. "Bazgul, play nice with the humans."

Bazgul chittered again, nuzzling Mahogany's cheek.

"I know, low-hanging fruit. That's what he gets for calling me, girl. I know black doesn't crack, but I don't look like a child." Mahogany sighed, taking in the fresh autumn air. The scent of the ocean drifted on a light breeze. The leaves held their green, at least for now, but the sun raked in at a lovely angel, giving off an orange glow.

She passed by Backing Masking, Pandemonium's record store, and thought of Tony. They'd met earlier that summer, and it had been love at first sight for Mahogany. They'd managed a single date, which had gone well. They'd laughed and had a great time, but when he'd walked her to her door afterward, he had given her an awkward hug and practically ran back to his car. After that, things had been strained between them, and she didn't know how to get the easy-going Tony back. Dating sucked.

Mahogany let her mind wander back to the events of that summer as she walked to the apothecary. Guy Miller, her ghost, hadn't crossed over as they'd expected after solving his murderer. Instead, his annoying presence lingered like a cold sore before prom. But, the invisible tether leashing him to Mahogany had grown longer and more lenient. Guy had been her constant companion for two months, unable to go more than 100 feet before being yanked back to her side. Then one morning, she'd awoken without his incessant jabber. She'd found out later that he'd gone touring around the magical town of Pandemonium, Oregon, on his own. Mahogany didn't want to admit that she'd felt a little left out by his solo adventuring. Yet, Guy's continuing presence wasn't the only troubling issue. There had been the magic she'd performed that faithful night in the brownstone where Guy had been murdered. How had she, a human, be able to cast a spell? It didn't make any sense unless, but no, the idea was too crazy to fathom.

"Hello," said a tall, dark fairy with purple wings, tipping his bowler hat in greeting.

"Good morning," Mahogany replied, releasing her thoughts of last summer's magical mystery.

"How's Bazgul today?"

The demon spider chattered at the sound of his name and bobbed up and down.

"That's a good demon," the fairy said, holding out a dog treat. Bazgul took the small, bone-shaped gift and wolfed it down.

Mahogany smiled and crossed the street. The heel of her beloved turquoise cowboy boot caught the curb, sending her reeling. Her fall from the brownstone's second-story window to evade a murderer had taken its toll on more than her tailbone. Mahogany righted herself. A few drops of coffee saw their way out of one of the plastic lids and dribbled down the cup's side.