Chapter 15

"Mahogany, you'll never guess what happened?"

Evelina crouched over Mahogany's sleeping figure, shaking her shoulders.

"What?" Mahogany's heart raced. She'd been dreaming about Tony. They sat in a rowboat on a placid lake, gazing into each other's eyes, when a giant white sawn swam up and began biting Mahogany. Every time she reached for Tony, the swan struck, and he did nothing to stop the aggressive creature. Then, Tony suddenly turned into a swan, too, and started pecking Mahogany.

Mahogany took a cleansing breath, grateful that the troubling and unnecessarily symbolic dream was fading. "The house had better be on fire to wake me up like that." Mahogany rolled over, pulling the covers over her head.

"Better than a house fire. I know where RW and Saree are."

"How?"Mahogany peeked over the top of the blanket.

"Remember how Detective Sawyer mentioned that the police had put out an APB and notified local inns and hotels to be on the lookout for them?"

Mahogany nodded, lowering the blanket another inch.

Flour streaked Evelina's cheek, and she smelled of butter and oats. "Well, my cousin, Bubbles works at Murphy's Cider House," Evelina said, a crazed smile lifting her mouth into an insane grin. "You'll never guess who checked into the Inn last night."

"From the smile on your face, it's either British Royalty or Agatha Christy's ghost," Mahogany teased, pressing her head deeper into the pillow, placing more distance between herself and Evelina's manic grin.

Evelina peered around conspiratorially and whispered, "RW and Saree," as if someone else in the apartment might hear her.

Mahogany nodded, whispering back. "We should probably get out there before the police get word."

"Bubbles said he'd keep a lid on things as long as possible." Evelina hopped to her feet. "I brought you coffee and a cheese and spinach quiche."

"You're an angel." Mahogany threw off the covers and sat up. She grabbed her phone. "It's 6:30 in the morning!"

"I've been baking since four. Hurry and get dressed. The cops aren't going to wait for us." Evelina shook her head, releasing an eruption of flour into the air, and held out a tank top to Mahogany.

****

"Thanks for coming with us, Guy," Mahogany said as they pulled into the gravel parking lot behind Murphy Cider House. She and Evelina knew the police would arrive soon, and the last thing Mahogany wanted was for Detective Sawyer to spot her scooter.

Owned by the Murphy Clan, the Cider House was one of the oldest structures outside Pandemonium. Set on forty acres of prime farmland, the Cider House property was home to several varieties of apple and pear orchards, grazing land for goats and sheep, and an inn. The picturesque local was a mainstay for weddings, romantic getaways, and the annual harvest festival.

"My pleasure," Guy said, hopping off the black cargo compartment behind where Evelina sat. "Do you think RW and Saree murdered Matt?" he asked.

"The evidence sure points in that direction," Mahogany said. "Or, at any rate, RW looks guilty. Did Bubbles tell you which room they're in?"

"Room twelve. They just ordered room service. He's going to have us deliver it." Evelina took out her phone and texted Bubbles. A moment later, her phone pinged. "He's at the front desk. Come on."

Mahogany and Guy followed Evelina into the rambling half-timbered Cider House Inn, a perfect twin to Tispey O'Lush's in Pandemonium.

Rich red velvet rugs welcomed them into the inn's foyer. Leafy potted plants and beautiful landscapes rendered in oil paints bedecked the finely-plastered walls. A large staircase spiraled up over the front desk where a large, blond man stood.