Chapter 2

"I brought Rabbit Rabbit," Mahogany said, holding the card game in front of her like a shield. It had been several days since she'd seen Tony. Their awkward ending to their date hung between them like a shroud.

Tony gave a tight smile and ushered her inside.

Evelina squealed when she saw the card game in Mahogany's hands. "I love this one! Where did you find it?" She grabbed the box and gave Mahogany a quick hug. "I'll get it set up. There's pizza in the kitchen and cider in the fridge."

"They had a copy at Poisoned Pen Bookshop. Cam helped me pick it out. He's such a board game geek and a book nerd. Unlike Ace, who's there to take your money," Mahogany said, referencing the odd business pair that co-owned Pandemonium's bookstore. Ace was tall, thin, wolfishly handsome, and a bit of a bad boy. Rumors circled that he had a gambling problem. On the other hand, Cam was the prototypical, pan-ultimate geek– short, round, and couldn't grow a beard if his life depended on it. But ask him about comic books, games, or role-playing, and you best strap in for the long haul.

Mahogany helped herself to food and drink before joining Tony and Evelina around the coffee table in the living room. She tried to smile at Tony, but he avoided eye contact with her and busied himself shuffling cards. With a deepening pit in her stomach, Mahogany gave up and concentrated on her slice of pizza, hoping the chewy cheese and crunchy crust would fill the widening void.

They played several hands of Rabbit Rabbit before falling into an easy conversation about the day. Mahogany relayed the kerfuffle that had taken place outside the Haughty Hemlock.

"RW needs to work on his approach. He's just so condescending and jerky," Evelina tossed her head back, finishing her cider. "Anyone want another?"

"Yes, please," Mahogany said. The alcohol helped ease the tension engulfing the space between her and Tony. At least she felt it less.

"I'm good," Tony said, turning his attention to a spot on his jeans.

Butterflies bumped and shivered in her stomach. Mahogany opened her mouth to say something, then closed it again. Too much time had passed to address the wall between them. By the time Mahogany had concluded that something was amiss, a new normal had taken form.

"Here you go," Evelina said, holding out a frosty bottle to Mahogany.

"Thanks." She took a grateful drink, hoping to drown the unwelcome fluttering insects in her abdomen.

"How about you, Tony? Anything interesting happen today?" Evelina asked as she gathered the cards and placed them back into the box.

"What do you mean? Why would you ask that?" Tony said his golden skin flushing to the roots of his black hair.

"Whoa, down, boy," Evelina said, holding her hands up in supplication. "It's a simple question."

"Sorry. I'm not feeling well," Tony said. "I think I'm going to turn in. Stay as long as you like." He got to his feet and squeezed past Mahogany on the floor before disappearing down the hallway.

Mahogany and Evelina watched him go, eyebrows raised in confusion.

"What in the hell just happened?" Evelina whispered.

"Beats me." Mahogany shook her head, making her light pink curls bob.

"Was it your date?" Evelina said, scooting closer to Mahogany.

Mahogany shrugged. "It went well, then it fizzled at the end, and things haven't been the same since." She covered her face with her hands and groaned, laying back on the floor. "I wish I'd never asked him for ice cream."

Evelina's bow-shaped mouth puckered in a frown, and she patted Mahogany's knee. "I'm sorry. I wish I could do something. Do you want me to pry?"

"Yes," Mahogany said, pulling her hands from her face, "I mean, no. Things didn't work out for us romantically. It happens. I'm sure we'll get back to normal soon."

Evelina eyed Mahogany but said nothing, her face an open book of disapproval.

"I should go." Mahogany sat up.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Evelina watched as Mahogany gathered her things.

"No, that's OK. I need to think."

"Are you all right to drive?" Evelina gazed at the half-finished cider in Mahogany's hand.

"Absolutely not. I'm going to walk. I'll come back for the Vespa later."

Evelina nodded and grabbed her purse, following Mahogany to the door. "I wonder what set him off? What do you think happened today?"

"I have no idea, but I'm sure we'll find out soon. Nothing stays secret for long in Pandemonium."

_______

AN: What in the name of Eros has gotten into Tony?

Have any of you ever had someone start randomly acting strange towards you? I was ghosted once, which is an odd experience.