Chapter 17

"Thank you for coming on such short notice," Detective Swayer said.

Mahogany waved as she walked towards the Detective. "I didn't think I had much choice. You might arrest me if I refused."

The Detective smiled. "If nothing else, I at least know where you are. You can't interfere with my investigation if you're stuck with me in the Museum's basement.

Mahogany returned the Detective's smile. "Oh, you don't know me at all, Detective. I'm investigating right now."

Sawyer rolled her eyes. "Come on. Let's get on with it. I have a murder to solve."

They made their way to the basement, and Sawyer got to work. Mahogany retrieved folders filled with finding aids and occasionally larger archive boxes, but for the most part, she sat on an old school desk and swung her legs, waiting for the nightmare to end.

"I'm assuming you heard about RW and Saree," Sawyer said, not looking up from the papers she scanned.

"It's a small town. I'd be surprised if there were residents who didn't know."

"What do you think about their arrests?" This time Sawyer pulled her gaze from the document and turned her full attention to Mahogany.

"Are you asking my opinion on a police matter?" Mahogany placed her hand on her chest and blinked at the Detective. "A lowly civilian?"

Sawyer rolled her eyes. "You always seem to be in the right place at the right time, Mahogany. It's uncanny. I thought you may have heard something I hadn't."

"Oh, I've heard things, all right." Mahogany stopped swinging her legs. "I don't think they did it. Sure, Saree and RW were having an affair, and their marriages were unhappy, but Saree had no reason to murder Matt."

"Why do you say that?"

Mahogany shrugged. "Saree loved Matt and wanted desperately for that affection to be returned. She fell into RW's bed because that's what he does. He goes after what Matt has. Plus, they were together when Matt was murdered."

"They say they were together outside of town at a secret spot where no one else saw them," Sawyer said. "I say they were murdering Matt."

"And the bloody glove in RW's garage is the only evidence you have tying him to the murder. A glove anyone could have placed in his garage."

"The gloves belong to him, and his DNA is inside." Sawyer narrowed her eyes at Mahogany. "Hard to dispute DNA."

"RW owned the gloves. Of course, his DNA is inside." Plus, Mahogany thought, Guy, saw RW and Saree at the cemetery when Matt was murdered. She remembered RW's stricken face when Mahogany had told him about the glove. He was genuinely surprised.

Detective Sawyer laughed, throwing her head back. "I'm sorry, Mahogany, but that's a murderer for you. They lie as a means of self-preservation. You can't believe a word."

As fast as it had started, the laughter died on Sawyer's lips. "What's that?" she nodded to a small wooden shelf hanging on the wall behind Mahogany.

Mahogany turned her head and peered over her shoulder. The clock she'd taken from Matt's murder scene was seated on the dusty shelf—the echo chronograph. Blood pounded in Mahogany's ears. Why had Agalia placed the echo chronograph in the basement when she knew Mahogany would be bringing Sawyer down here? The thought died in Mahogany's mind before she'd had time to consider it. That was the only reason Agalia had placed the clock down here.

"It's a clock," Mahogany kept her voice level.

"It looks exactly like one that disappeared from the clock tower." Sawyer got to her feet and peered at the clock resting on the shelf. From her pocket, she retrieved a latex glove.